Daniel Robert key to Tigers' sweep of Alabama A&M

Daniel Robert hadn't pitched in a baseball game for nearly two years, dating back to his high school playoff game. When the smoke cleared after Auburn’s two games Wednesday, April 15, Robert can add “college pitcher” to his resume.

With the Tigers leading late in Game 2, Robert was called on to pitch in the eighth, where he uncorked his 90 mph fastball for an emphatic out. Coupled with his six RBIs on the day — three from a home run in the first game — Robert can hang his hat on a career day leading up to a big series this weekend.

“(Robert) was special on the mound,” said coach Sunny Golloway. “We watched him in the bullpen, and he’s really special. Then he had a back-to-back, three RBI day for him, and I thought the toughness that he showed was really important.”

Auburn (23-15, 5-10) had their game against Alabama State get rained out Tuesday, April 14, so the scheduled game Wednesday against Alabama A&M was shuffled into a doubleheader.

In Game 1, the Tigers were locked in a defensive struggle for much of the night, only leading 2-1 after six full innings. In the seventh, however, the offense broke the game open for good. Melvin Gray and Jordan Ebert collected singles, scoring one and two runs respectively. Robert then launched his third homer of the game, scoring three runs and extending Auburn’s lead to 8-1, effectively sealing the game for the Tigers.

Starter Dalton Rentz picked up his second win of the season, hurling seven strong innings. He allowed only one run while striking out six before Jacob Milliman came on in relief for the final two innings.

Robby Clements got the start in Game 2, and went five strong innings, allowing only two runs on four hits while striking out two. Five pitchers — including Robert — combined to finish the final four innings.

“I thought both of out starters today came out and pitched well,” Golloway said. “I thought Rentz going long in the first game was real important, and the Robby (Clements) was cruising (in the second game), but coach Holliday wanted to get him out because he can help us on the back end on Sunday.”

The Auburn offense spread the wealth in the second game, with seven different Tigers collecting RBIs throughout the game. The Bulldogs pulled ahead in the fourth inning, scoring two runs on a deep double to right field, but four runs in the bottom of the inning from Jackson Burgreen, Kyler Deese, Cody Nulph, and Anfernee Grier vaulted the Tigers back in front for good.

Alabama A&M added three more in the eighth, but Auburn tacked two runs on in the bottom of the inning to extend the lead to 10-5.

Auburn will face SEC foe Ole Miss this weekend in a crucial conference series, with the first game scheduled to get underway at 6 p.m. at Plainsman Park.

Share and discuss “Daniel Robert key to Tigers' sweep of Alabama A&M” on social media.