New face in backfield race: Robinson competes for running back

Although this will be Jovon Robinson’s first year playing football at Auburn, he is no stranger to the Plains.

Robinson originally signed with the Tigers in 2012, intending to become a focal point of the offense.

However, shortly after he arrived and began practicing, it was revealed at least one of his high school grades had been changed, deeming him ineligible.

As a result, he enrolled at Georgia Military College for two years, and, this past December, rejoined the Tigers after transferring just before the Outback Bowl.

Now Robinson is in the thick of a fierce competition to become the starting running back, trying to outperform Roc Thomas, Peyton Barber and possibly incoming freshman Kerryon Johnson.

With spring practice complete, Robinson said he feels good about his chances.

“I feel like this spring has been the best spring I’ve ever had in my life,” Robinson said. “The material I’ve been introduced to, I’ve been so focused on it. It’s like no other focus I’ve ever had.”

As a five-star recruit who amassed nearly 2,400 rushing yards and 34 touchdowns, Robinson’s pedigree would be enough to earn the starting job at most universities from day one.

But this spring, Robinson has shown he’s not assuming the job is his and he’s willing to put the team first over personal accomplishments.

“I feel like everybody has a shot, everybody has a turn, everybody has an opportunity,” Robinson said. “Of course, I want the best for me personally, but I feel like this is a team effort. This is Auburn’s shot.”

Working up to A-Day, Robinson has found himself in a sort of a paradox. He is the newest member of the running back trio, fighting for the starting job, but he is also the oldest member, which can bring some added stress.

“I’m the oldest in the running back group, so there’s a lot of pressure there, just off of initial age difference, but I feel like I’m picking it up pretty good,” Robinson said. “I just plan on having fun this spring.”

Share and discuss “New face in backfield race: Robinson competes for running back” on social media.