Toomer's Corner construction may affect downtown businesses

In the summer months, many visitors of Auburn drive through downtown to discover the shops and restaurants. However, this summer will be different.

May 11, the Monday after spring 2015 graduation takes place, construction of the downtown plan will start on College Street.

The intersection of Toomer’s Corner will be closed, and, at some point, there will be limited sidewalk space.

This will affect businesses not only on College Street, but businesses on Magnolia Avenue as well.

But, if all goes to plan, when the three-month period of construction is over in August, downtown Auburn will be transformed.

“We knew it was going to be done since the trees were dying and they were going to redo the University corner,” said Eric Stamp, owner of Stamp.

He said he understood that the goal was to make the new trees and the downtown renovation look like one project.

However, it was not until 2-3 months ago he learned the road will be closed and the sidewalks will have limited access.

“As far as I understand it, there will be no driving,” Stamp said.

According to Stamp, the fence blocking off the road will run 5 feet from the shop entrances.

“You have to make a mess to make it good,” said Sarah Brown, owner of Wrapsody.

There will be people that will not be aware of the construction changes, but Brown said actions such as a billboard off of the interstate will help inform people.

Brown said Wrapsody will combat the construction by utilizing their back doors when the front of the store is not accessible.

“We are definitely excited about the final product,” said Cliff Hare, owner of Auburn Art.

Hare was on a committee that worked on drawings of the layout of the new downtown plan.

“We have enough info,” Hare said about how informed he is on the changes that will come with the construction.

The Chamber of Commerce will have monthly meetings with the merchants during construction.

“Downtown Auburn is open,” said Lolly Steiner, president of the Auburn Chamber of Commerce.

Steiner said the Chamber of Commerce has tried to be positive to insure there are little as possible adverse effects from the construction.

“We’ve had several meetings where they have given everybody… an opportunity to come” Stamp said.

He said he has seen most of the merchants of downtown Auburn at the meetings.

“Fortunately downtown is thriving. It’s busy. There is not a good time to cram in three months worth of construction,” Stamp said.

He said that now is a good time because there is money set aside for the project.

Stamp will have ads, billboards and a twitter account to keep people informed about the construction. He and his employees are considering putting yard signs in front of their houses to help promote the store.

The hashtag #CornerConstrcution has up to date information on the construction.

While parking in downtown Auburn has always been a concern, ideas are being thrown around to free up parking as well as ideas to have a shuttle to transport downtown employees to work.

The construction work is being done by Bailey Harris Construction, a local contracting company, according to Stamp.

“That defiantly helps to have somebody that knows how important it is to the community and … realizes the impact that it is going to have if things go slowly,” Stamp said.

While there are fewer students in Auburn over the summer, it is still a busy time for downtown Auburn with people coming in for Camp War Eagle and athletic camps.

Even though many businesses have anxiety over the loss of business the construction could potentially cause, many expressed excitement about the final result.

Share and discuss “Toomer's Corner construction may affect downtown businesses ” on social media.