Bluegrass on the Plains coming May 25

Musicians, artists and bluegrass fans will come to Auburn from May 25-31 for Bluegrass on the Plains at the University Station RV Resort.

Ricky Skaggs is headlining the festival and will perform Friday, May 29. Other performers include Kentucky Thunder, Chris Jones and The Night Drivers, The Isaacs, Claire Lynch, Rhonda Vincent and The Rage and Gene Watson.

Mathan Holt, founder of Bluegrass on the Plains, said people come from all over the country for the festival, and "75-80 percent" of people who come are not from Alabama. 

Holt said they are preparing for 6,000-7,000 people to come to the event.

He said the artists who will be performing are big names in bluegrass and have won many bluegrass awards, including Grammys.

"Everybody's all excited about who's going to be here," Holt said.

Holt said the RV park was a great venue for the festival and many people travel to Bluegrass on the Plains in their RVs.

"[The RV community] is a big portion but not the majority," Holt said.

Arts and crafts will be available Friday and Saturday, May 29-30 for an arts and crafts show, according to the website.

There will also be several local food vendors daily, as well as a potluck dinner Tuesday, May 26, at 6 p.m.

Holt said Bluegrass on the Plains is a major event nationwide, and even was named the International Bluegrass Music Association's 2013 New Festival of the Year.

According to the website, tickets range in price, depending on the day. Tickets for the full festival are $105 in advance and $125 at the gate. 

Individual day tickets range from $15-$35 in advance and $20-$40 at the door, depending on the day. Admission is free Sunday, May 31.

Share and discuss “Bluegrass on the Plains coming May 25” on social media.