Chief information officer of the NFL speaks at spring 2015 graduation ceremony

Graduates of the College of Sciences and Mathematics and the College of Education were awarded their degrees in the first of four graduation ceremonies May 9-10. 

According to the Auburn University website, 3,840 degrees will be awarded over the next two days.

Friends and families of the graduates packed the Auburn Arena at 10 a.m. for the ceremony. 

President Jay Gogue formally welcomed everyone, and said he was proud of the students in front of him.

"You've earned a degree that will be valuable to you both professionally and personally," Gogue said.

Michelle McKenna-Doyle, chief information officer for the NFL and 1987 Auburn graduate, gave the commencement speech. She focused her speech on remembering the past, looking forward to the future and remembering goals, but also emphasized the importance of the present. 

"Let's pause for just a moment, and allow ourselves to be very present today and very connected with one and other and to this special place," McKenna-Doyle said. "This is your Auburn Family. And while it will always be part of you, this is the last moment that we'll be together exactly like we are right now."

Before the degrees were awarded, John Oakberg, a 1969 Auburn graduate was awarded an honorary doctorate. Oakberg, who worked for the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), was on the senior staff that won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2005. 

The doctorate degrees were awarded first, then master's and bachelor's degrees. 

Kaelyn Dobson, who graduated in zoology, said she was excited, but nervous.

"Whenever we were waiting and it was our turn to get up, I looked at my friend and said, 'You know that feeling when you're on the top of a roller coaster?'" Dobson said. "That's where we were."

Justin Cox, who earned his master's in geology, said he had many feelings going through his head.

"Excited, hungry, nervous," Cox said. "More excited than anything."

Tyler Still, earned a degree in physical education. He said he was looking forward to the next chapter of life.

"I'm just proud to be through here," Still said.

Share and discuss “Chief information officer of the NFL speaks at spring 2015 graduation ceremony” on social media.