LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Response to We should get what we pay for

On behalf of my students, the Glomerata staff, I would like to clarify many points made in your editorial “We Should Get What We Pay For.” I write for my students because you brazenly mischaracterized their work without understanding the issue you raise, at all.

For one, you list the wrong distribution dates; but that’s inconsequential. In the future, though, listing correct dates and times is suggested.

More egregious is your cavalier narration of scanning Tiger Cards. We deliberately scanned Tiger Cards to ensure only students received copies. What you failed to discover (because you did not ask) was that many of the scanners malfunctioned. If you had performed thorough research, you would have learned that, post-malfunction, we still asked students to show us their Tiger Card. Indeed, we wrote down numbers on legal pads.

In short, we made every effort to ensure that the 7,500 copies ended up in correct hands. To insinuate otherwise is careless. To boot, The Plainsman does not have to stand in the sun for 7 hours passing out heavy books to students, so you should be less incendiary in your complaint since you have not lived the process.

Last, you imply that the Glomerata staff intentionally jilted seniors by running out early. We ran out early because we only had 7,500 copies. We do not arbitrarily select the number of copies. We order what we can based on the budget provided by the SGA Senate. If your concern was altruistic, then your target should be SGA.

A more productive use of your space could have read: “Those disappointed with the insufficient number of Glomerata copies should reach out to their SGA Senator and request that additional funds be allocated to next year’s staff so that they may order more copies.”

- Benjamin Arnberg, graduate assistant of student media

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Response to We should get what we pay for” on social media.