EDITORIAL: Scalping the Auburn Family

With the start of Auburn University’s 2015 football season less than two months away, the excitement of one of Auburn’s most beloved traditions is quickly escalating. 

In addition to the usual buzz that seems to overwhelm the student body before the start of football season, this year we have a new defensive coordinator, as well as a new video board that is record breaking in size. 

However, some students are not looking forward to the 2015 football season as much as others. 

The reason for this is at least partly because these students were not able to purchase student tickets, but this is not where the issue lies. 

The problem is many students will purchase student tickets, sometimes without any intention to go to the games, and attempt to sell them to others for a much higher price than they originally paid, making a profit off fellow Auburn Family members. 

This process has become widespread, particularly for bigger games, such as the Iron Bowl and LSU. 

Because of this, it is oftentimes difficult, even exhausting, to find a student ticket for a decent price. 

Making a profit off selling student football tickets may be economical from a business perspective, but concerning our peers, possible future students and Auburn Family members in general, it is simply not fair. 

With regard to students who are guilty of partaking in this activity, what they often fail to realize or show compassion toward, is that they are robbing some students of the opportunity to experience football in the South, at one of the greatest universities in the country. 

In many cases, the difference between the original ticket office price and the mark up price may mean being able to afford attending the game or not. 

At one point, we considered mentioning ideas concerning the implementation of a point system in which students who attend the highest amount of games should have first priority of student tickets the following year, or possibly even doing away with the option to transfer tickets to another Ignited card. 

However, we ultimately feel the ticket office should be involved. 

In addition, students should take into consideration Alabama Code Section 40-12-167, which states, “Any person offering for sale or selling tickets at a price greater than the original price and who is commonly known as a ticket scalper shall pay a license tax of $100.” 

We strongly believe the ticket office should put in place regulatory measures to help resolve this issue. If this still proves to be a problem, maybe the Auburn Police Division should be involved.

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL: Scalping the Auburn Family ” on social media.