Taking the Auburn Family to another level

Many Auburn students have family ties to the university. However, the Ahmed family is deeply rooted in Auburn; with all four of them at the university at the same time at one point, according to Nighet Ahmed, graduate student in adult education.

Nighet said her family would run into each other on campus sometimes.

"We would see each other on campus more than we would see each other at the house," Nighet said.

Nighet homeschooled her sons, Azeem and Aleem Ahmed, and said she emphasized writing. She said this has helped them develop into good writers.

Azeem, who graduated in finance, said he would come to campus for lectures as part of his homeschool curriculum as a child. He said coming to Auburn was a natural choice for him after dual-enrolling during his senior year of high school.

"I thought it was really special," Azeem said. "I loved it."

Azeem said his entire family was at Auburn at the same time last year. He said they would all grab lunch or coffee together.

"That was really cool ... it was pretty nice that happened my senior year," Azeem said.

Azeem said he didn't see his family too often, and said they were spread out across campus in different departments and activities.

"Our circles were kind of different," Azeem said.

Aleem, senior in aerospace engineering, said he did not always want to come to Auburn after growing up in town, however, it has been convenient and cheap.

"Most people, when they go to college, it's when they get out of the nest," Aleem said. "Going to school that's in the town you've grown up in, and also where your father works and is a faculty member and then your mom starts the Ph.D. program, it's just kind of hard to do that."

Aleem said his interests are in different areas than Azeem's.

"My hard work goes in different directions, not necessarily toward scholarships, but toward other things I enjoy, like work and research," Aleem said.

Aleem said his family encompasses Auburn as a whole.

"It's kind of weird, because everywhere you go, people know your mom or your dad or your brother," Aleem said. "so in a lot of ways, they've built up a good reputation."

Anwar Ahmed, Azeem and Aleem's father and Nighet's husband, is a professor of aerospace engineering. Aleem said he takes after his father, while Azeem takes after Nighet.

"Both my mom and my brother are very humanitarian-oriented, my dad and I we're very research, goal-oriented in that regard," Aleem said.

Nighet is currently studying Arabic in California as a winner of the Boren Fellowship. She said she found out about the fellowship from Azeem.

"Azeem and Aleem inspired me," Nighet said. "My husband was like a rock."

Nighet said she was interested in studying Arabic because of her Muslim faith and because she said she wanted to use her degree to help immigrant women adjust to American society. She said she is especially interested in women who were professionals in their home countries.

"I could serve them and build those bridges," Nighet said.

Nighet said she was surprised to win the Boren Fellowhship, and it was "very exciting and humbling."

"I never thought I would get it, honestly," Nighet said.

Azeem said he applied to and won prestigious scholarships, such as the Clinton Hunger Leadership Award so he could help others.

"I want to take my work to the next level," Azeem said.

Azeem said his family is a "chase your dreams family," and he did not apply just for the sake of winning awards.

"[We] never believed in chasing awards," Azeem said.

Azeem said his family calls Auburn home and has developed a community here.

"We are really an Auburn family," Azeem said.

Share and discuss “Taking the Auburn Family to another level” on social media.