Triathletes sprint through Chewacla in first Auburn triathlon

Running, swimming and biking are all common at Chewacla. However, these sports were combined at the Tri Chewacla Sprint Trathlon on Sunday, July 12. 

Participants swam 500 meters, biked 12 miles and ran 3.1 miles in the first Auburn triathlon, hosted by Tri Auburn. Seventy-one people finished the race.

Wes Hargrove came in first place overall, with a time of 58 minutes and 26.04 seconds. Justine Emge was the first-place woman overall with a time of one hour, three minutes and 58 seconds.

"I did real well, it was a fun day," Hargrove said. "It hurt. Great race though."

Hargrove said the course was well-marked with lots of volunteers. He said his favorite part of triathlons is the run.

"Run course was very hilly, really tough, but it was a lot of fun," Hargrove said.

Amanda James is one of the event organizers. She said she was happy with the event.

"We've had great weather," James said. "The swim course was good, we didn't have any issues. Bike course was beautiful, I think it's been going really well."

James said Tri Auburn is a local group of triathletes, and they wanted to have a local race.

"We are just a local group of triathletes ourselves, and we travel all over to do these events," James said. "And we feel like we have a great town and a great area for triathletes, and we just wanted to make that available to people locally and be able to introduce people to the sport."

James said sponsors are necessary to hold the event. She said sponsors provided everything from prizes to refreshments.

Ryan Kirk placed fourth overall, and was the third male to finish. He and his father, Tim Kirk, traveled from Birmingham, where Ryan is a junior at Mountain Brook High School.

"The swim was fun," Ryan said. "I've never done a wave start before, so it was a lot of fun to go in with a lot of people at the same time."

Brian Darr is a USA Triathlon referee. His job is to enforce rules such as safe passing, not littering and not riding next to someone. He is also a triathlete, and said he learns from both competing and officiating.

"I get to learn from what other people are doing, some of their mistakes and some of the good things too," Darr said.

Darr said there were no penalties at the race.

Lauren Smith, associate professor of public relations and associate director of public relations, finished 4th overall. She is a triathlete and said she wanted to support a local race. She said she became interested in triathlons "by accident."

"I was a diver in college, and I missed competing, then a couple years ago I picked up a road bike, and thought, 'This is fun,' and then I moved on to start doing aqua bikes, which are swim bike, then a couple years ago I started doing triathlons.

Smith said she beat her personal goal, so she was happy with her race.

James said triathlon is a lifelong sport.

"Its a sport that you can take part in your whole life," James said. "The atmosphere is great, the people you work with in triathlon and that you compete with are great. And we just think it's a beautiful sport."

Share and discuss “Triathletes sprint through Chewacla in first Auburn triathlon” on social media.