Auburn University awards 1,138 degrees at two graduation ceremonies

Excitement filled the Auburn Arena on Aug. 1, as Auburn University awarded 1,138 degrees at two graduation ceremonies.

The 10 a.m. ceremony featured the College of Liberal Arts, the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering,the College of Science and Mathematics, the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, the College of Architecture, Design and Construction and University College, which used to be called Interdisciplinary Studies.

"It's a great day in each of your lives, and I feel honored to be able to share it with you today," said Auburn University President Jay Gogue. "You're joining a special group of Auburn graduates."

Mike Warren, commencement speaker, graduated from Auburn in 1968 in history. He is currently the president and CEO of Children's of Alabama, a nonprofit pediatric hospital. 

"We celebrate your terrific accomplishments as you graduate from this wonderful institution," Warren said.

Warren said Auburn helps people achieve goals they might not currently have. 

"As great as your Auburn experience has been, you can't stay here," Warren said. "You've got to go out into the world. It's time to figuratively turn the next page in your life."

Warren challenged the graduates to make the world a better place.

"Our graduation gift to you today is the burden of great expectations," Warren said. "For you see, we need you."

Warren said his generation has done some good, but there is still work to do.

"One thing we did get right is you," Warren said.

Warren said anyone could make a difference if they become involved in what they are passionate about.

"So what's the problem or issue that really needs you?" Warren said.

Kseniya Gutman, recent graduate with a master's in applied behavior analysis, said her degree will help her make a change in her field.

"It's going to be exciting be able to use everything I've learned to help change people's lives for the better," Gutman said.

Jeremy Dickson, who graduated in mechanical engineering, said he was excited to graduate, and he wanted to find a job in a big city.

"Some of my peers have found jobs already," Dickson said. "I think not co-opping has hindered me."

Tori Blackburn, recent graduate in communication, said graduating was "bittersweet."

"You're going to miss it, but you're thankful for the whole experience," Blackburn said.

Paul Anglin, who graduated with his Ph.D. in electrical engineering, said his family was happy to see him graduate.

"My wife says she's finally raised her man-child, so it's a pretty big accomplishment," Anglin said. 

Share and discuss “Auburn University awards 1,138 degrees at two graduation ceremonies” on social media.