America's Journey for Justice to march through Auburn

The NAACP's America's Journey for Justice march to Washington D.C. made a pit stop in Tuskegee on Aug. 5.

Marchers met with city officials and NAACP local leadership about the march’s cause, and city officials issued a proclamation in support of the march.

The marchers will make their way through Auburn along Shug Jordan Parkway beginning from I-85 at 8 a.m. on Aug. 6.

America's Journey for Justice coincides with the 50th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act and protests issues the African American community still faces.

In addition to economic equality and reform to and criminal justice system, the march is pushing for school equity, according to NAACP Digital Media Director Jamiah Adams.

"Some people don't get the chance to make it to the university if they are stuck in a school-to-prison pipeline or if they are in a school in a poorer community where the tax platform is not properly supporting that school," Adams said.

The march began at Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma on Sunday, Aug. 2, the same town where Martin Luther King Jr. focused his voter registration campaign and the sight of Bloody Sunday.

Averaging 20 miles per day, the protesters will have marched 100 of the 860 miles by the end of Aug. 5. With temperatures reaching over 100 degrees, Adams said the marchers are consuming approximately 800 bottles of water per day to stay hydrated.

Share and discuss “America's Journey for Justice to march through Auburn” on social media.