Shopkick allows users to rack up points to get gift card deals

If you’ve ever wanted to be rewarded for shopping, this is the app you’ve been waiting for. Shopkick is an easy-to-use phone application that rewards users with points for entering stores, scanning barcodes and making purchases.

Additional points can be earned by opening the app each day, scrolling through lists of products and inviting friends.

For every 500 points earned, about $2 is rewarded as a gift card of the user’s choice, and points can be redeemed at any time. The gift card can be scanned by showing the barcode on the phone.

Gift card options vary from Target to Starbucks, with Best Buy, Sephora and Tory Burch in the higher point range.

For most stores such as Kroger and Publix, points are given to users for walking in. In order to successfully use the app, have it active as you walk into a store.

As long as the user has his or her WiFi or mobile data on, the app will automatically locate the phone and instantly reward points. Usually, no purchase is necessary.

Points can also be earned through scans. When entering a store, open shopkick and find the store’s logo. Click on the logo to see if the store awards points for scanning certain items. Some items will be 15-25 points, while others will be above 100. The point value typically goes up if the store is having a sale.

Another feature is the deals page. Users can scroll through the tiles and see what sales are in their local area. Points are not normally awarded for scrolling through the deals page, but the user can see all sales in stores and save them to view later.

There is no time limit forcing users to redeem their points each month. This feature allows users accumulate points for a larger gift card value.

Personally, I’ve had great success with this app.

I’ve had it for one month and have earned a $10 gift card to Starbucks.

What I like is that I don’t have to connect a credit card in order to earn rewards.

All you need is a smartphone with an Internet connection to earn rewards for the shopping you’re already doing.

Rachel Sprouse is an intrigue writer for The Plainsman. She can be reached atintrigue@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Shopkick allows users to rack up points to get gift card deals ” on social media.