Soccer defeats South Alabama to remain unbeaten at home

Auburn soccer returned home Sunday, Sept. 13, after a devastating loss in Missouri to pause conference play and take on the University of South Alabama Jaguars. The Tigers defeated the Jaguars 2-1 to go undefeated in non-conference play for the first time in program history.

Auburn learned a lot from its Friday night loss to Mizzou according to head coach Karen Hoppa. The Tigers weren't ready for their first matchup as the visiting team and later transferred their frustration into a Sunday night win. 

“It doesn’t bring us down, we learn from it and get better and that was the goal," Hoppa said. "I thought the girls had a great response to that today.”

The Tiger defense, led by senior Kala Faulkner, allowed the Jaguars 13 shots and one goal, with 3 saves by goalkeeper Sarah Le Beau. Hannah Godfrey gave South Alabama the lead in the first half with a shot that Auburn forward Taylor Troutman attempted to deflect but ended up knocking into the goal. It was the first goal scored at the Auburn Soccer Complex by an opposing team this season.

Troutman was quick to redeem herself by matching the Jaguars with a goal of her own just two minutes after that. Not a minute later, Ramsier scored with an assist from Troutman and Ellie Leek, giving Auburn the 2-1 lead.

Ramsier said the focus heading into all-SEC play next week is "being able to respond to adversity." Friday was the first time the Tigers had allowed a goal this season, and the team didn't respond well, resulting in a loss. 

“I think learning to respond to that and dealing with it during the game is going to be huge for us all season," Ramsier said. "It’s going to happen, we’re going to get scored on, as great as our defense is, stuff happens. Responding to that and being able to come up fired up like we did tonight and respond quickly will help us tremendously.”

The Tigers will resume SEC play Sunday, Sept. 20, against the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville, Tennessee. It is the first of a 10-match all-SEC stand for Auburn.

“It’s one game at a time," Hoppa said. "Every game is playoff mentality, and what we learned from Mizzou is what we have to take into the next game. We can’t take any plays off, we can’t take any minutes off, and we can’t take anything for granted. You’ve got to fight and battle for everything."

Share and discuss “Soccer defeats South Alabama to remain unbeaten at home” on social media.