Soccer takes SEC home opener in dramatic overtime win

This year’s Tiger duel ended in dramatic fashion Friday at the Auburn Soccer Complex with a 3-2 Auburn win over LSU in sudden death.

The highly anticipated match between the two Tiger teams did not disappoint, with LSU striking first 10 minutes into the match. Auburn’s Casie Ramsier responded in the 39th minute with an assist from Charlotte Van Ishoven.

Auburn lead the match in shots at 22 while LSU managed 11. The Auburn defense held the opposing Tigers' two power forwards and attacking midfield.

“Certainly we out shot them and out cornered them, I was really worried we were going to regret missing some of those chances,” said head coach Karen Hoppa. “We had plenty of opportunities in regulation to put it away and we didn’t.”

Ramsier found herself in possession once again in the 63rd minute, sending a midfield free kick to forward Taylor Troutman, who slipped the ball past LSU’s keeper Catalina Rubiano.

A foul call allowed a penalty kick for Jorian Baucom of LSU who took advantage and won the challenge against keeper Sarah Le Beau. The goal tied the score at two and with the remaining five minutes coming to a close, sent the match into overtime.

“Credit to (LSU) battling back into that game, and they’re a great team but I felt we deserved it,” Hoppa said. “I felt we had more to play.”

In the second 10-minute sudden death period, Auburn found its game winner when senior Kala Faulkner made a drive toward the box. A transition to Hannah Alspach and a bounce off the head of Ramsier gave the Tigers their desired SEC home opener victory.

Facing the adversity that they did tonight showed what the team was capable of and how much they’ve grown, according to Ramsier.

“In the past this hasn’t always been the case, but this year we just have a great team chemistry," Ramsier said. "We’re all working towards the same goal and you can see that in the way we fight back."

Coach Hoppa credited the leadership from team captains Ramsier and Faulkner for allowing the Tigers to find and take hold of their win.

“What a testament to the character of this team,” Hoppa said. “To fight back, the adversity we faced… they got a little scary in overtime but man, what a great goal.”

Auburn will return to action Sunday at 1 p.m. against the Florida Gators at the Auburn Soccer Complex.

Share and discuss “Soccer takes SEC home opener in dramatic overtime win” on social media.