Soccer remains undefeated at home

The No.15 Tigers returned to action Friday, defeating the Kentucky Wildcats 2-1 at the Auburn Soccer Complex. Auburn entered the night looking for redemption after being knocked out of last season’s SEC Tournament by the Wildcats.

Returning after a loss at Ole Miss, the Tigers were able to keep their undefeated home streak alive. Senior defender Kala Faulkner kicked off senior weekend by scoring the first goal for the Tigers in the fourth minute.

“After losing to Ole Miss, I think we just wanted to be more together as a unit and be on the same page,” Faulkner said. “We kind of let up, and the whole team and the defense, we just bounced back. We knew that we were going to win the game at the end of the day.”

The Auburn defense, complete with five exciting saves by redshirt freshman Sarah Le Beau, held the Wildcats at zero the first half. Kentucky returned and equalized at the beginning of the second half, putting even one’s on the scoreboard. 

Both teams kept their defensive walls up and their offenses attacking until the Tigers regained the lead in the 73rd minute. A corner kick by junior Brooke Ramsier was headed in by Courtney Schell gave Auburn the go-ahead for a 2-1 lead.

“We knew it was coming,” Schell said. “Brooke sent in a perfect ball, and me and (Gianna Montini) were runners on top, and we knew one of us was going to get it in. It was time.”

The Tigers won the shot contest with 16 and limited the Wildcats to 11. The win was a bounce-back and momentum booster after a tough loss at Ole Miss.

“All year this team has been able to deal with adversity,” said coach Karen Hoppa. “Credit to our leadership with Kala and Casie [Ramsier] to keep our team in it and keep them focused and get back to the game plan and do the things that make us good.”

Auburn will continue play Sunday, Oct. 25 at the Auburn Soccer Complex against Georgia for senior day, honoring Logan Beal, Faulkner and Sophie Simantel. First kick is set for 1 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Soccer remains undefeated at home” on social media.