Crime and Paw-nishment

The only pets that are allowed in the Auburn dorms, with the exception of service animals, are fish that can be kept in a tank of 20 gallons or less. However, go door to door in Auburn’s residence halls and that may not be all you find.

With the exception of service animals, the only pet allowed in University dorms is fish that can be kept in a tank of 20 gallons or less. However, fish may not be the only pet found in on-campus residence halls. 

Despite the rules, some Auburn students cannot stick to a scaly, water-breathing friend.

Miriam Comer, sophomore in human development and family studies, said she lives in dorm.  

“I’ve heard cats, rabbits, a lot of hamsters," Comer said. "I’ve heard a dog, but it’s less usual.”

Natalie Milton, freshman in mechanical engineering, lives in South Donahue Residence Hall and opted for a turtle.

Milton said she bought her turtle, Zoe, a few months after school started making Zoe an illegal pet, which she said didn't concern her. 

“I wasn’t really worried about it," Milton said. "I knew someone who had a dog in one of the dorms, so I figured if she had a dog, I could handle a turtle.”

However, when Milton came back from fall break, with Zoe in tow, she said there was a note in Zoe's empty cage stating Milton had 48 hours to find Zoe a new home.

A quick Google search later, Milton discovered Auburn’s emotional support animal program and registered Zoe. 

“I registered her as an emotional support animal," Milton said. "You have to have some type of high stress or anxiety … It’s really easy. It took like 10 minutes and 50 bucks, and they just sent me a certificate,” Milton said.

Milton said she does not think the no pets rule should apply to smaller, low-maintenance animals in the first place.

“I understand with bigger animals that need a lot of space like dogs,” Milton said, "but with like lizards and guinea pigs, I don’t really get it.”

Justin Nail, junior in biomedical sciences, said he understands why the rule is in place even though he wishes it could be different.

“I personally think it would be cool to have pets in the dorm, but there could be like problems with health concerns,” Nail said. “Pets can have certain allergens that can affect suitmates or can be carried through the air vents to other rooms. So yeah, I understand it.”

But Nail said he also understands why people would want to keep pets in their rooms.

“I think the general premise of a pet is just to have something there when you get home,” Nail said. “I know it’s sometimes hard not having a pet when you come from a household where you have a dog or a cat.”

Milton said she likes the responsibility of caring for Zoe.

“I like having a sense of responsibility,” Milton said. “I mean, she is a turtle so it doesn’t take a lot, but I still have to like get up and feed her.”

Share and discuss “Crime and Paw-nishment ” on social media.