Fashion blogger's take on personal style

Ever wonder what it would be like to start your own fashion blog? Tomi Obebe, senior in exercise science and resident fashion blogger, shares her take on fashion.

Obebe started her blog in June 2015, because she wanted to start a fashion/lifestyle blog for a while.

“I had noticed that there had been a lack of women of color in stuff in terms of being able to see muses for outfits of the day,” Obebe said. “Or if it was people who I thought represented me and looked like me, I didn’t think we dressed the same.”

Obebe said she wanted to put her own individual spin on outfits of the day and show her own style.

“Usually, I like to look through a lot of magazines and kind of look at trends,” Obebe said. 

Obebe said that Fashion Week is an inspiration, but not to be copied.

“I look at high fashion as more of ideas, because no one wears that really odd outfit with the hat that goes out five feet from your face,” Obebe said. “But you can take bits and pieces of it and then make it your own.”

Selita Ebanks and Naomia Campbell are two of Obebe’s fashion icons. Her current favorite is a model named Gigi Hadid, an American fashion model.

“I think she has such a great heart,” Obebe said. “It’s been great to be able to see her, because I’ve been following her for a while and now she’s moving and skyrocketing on all these campaigns.”

While she looks to fashion designers, Obebe said she doesn’t “gravitate toward designers” when selecting her outfits but goes for what’s comfortable.

“You try to find things that look good and work best for you as an individual,” Obebe said. “[It does] not have to always be what the trend is, but it’s whatever looks good and you feel comfortable with.”

Her fall trend predictions are structured handbags like Kate Spade and Michael Kohrs, scarves, especially large ones, and “boyfriend jeans.”

“Everything is a lot more loose fitting, which I’m a lot more of a fan of,” Obebe said. “And so there’s a lot of ’70s style falling into it.”

Obebe’s blog, which has about 500 followers, allows her to express herself and share her style with others.

“I’ve really seen myself grow and become a better writer through that whole process,” Obebe said.

Share and discuss “Fashion blogger's take on personal style” on social media.