Neighborhood confronts City Council about construction concerns

Many residents of Timberwood subdivision came before the City Council on Nov. 17 to discuss their concerns about a new Dollar General being built at the intersection of Timberwood Drive and U.S. Highway 29.

Shauna Monroe spoke to the council first, and said the community had no warning as to what was coming.

"We feel that we were blindsided by this," Monroe said. "None of us really knew this was happening until the trees started coming down."

Monroe said the community immediately banded together and created a petition, which has already gotten 245 signatures from residents and nonresidents.

The main concerns the residents have are nonresident traffic and the affects it could have on the neighborhood.

Monroe said there is a bus stop one intersection away from the potential store's location, and this creates problems for the parents of young children.

"We feel like this puts our kids in harm's way," Monroe said.

Elaine Thomaston also expressed concern about her child's safety. Thomaston said she has a 5-year-old who enjoys riding his bike in their cul-de-sac, and unwanted traffic jeopardizes his ability to do so.

Piper Dillenger also expressed concern for her three young childrens' safety.

Monroe said a Dollar General would also affect the property value of the homes in the neighborhood.

The last concern the residents had was the construction taking place each day- starting as early as 6:30 am.

The residents of Timberwood proposed the entrance to the neighborhood be blocked off to preserve the neighborhood and keep traffic out of their way.

Thomaston said potential crime in the neighborhood could be reduced as well by doing this.

Thomaston worries that by having the public cut through their neighborhood to get the Dollar General, the safety of the neighborhood is at risk because more people in a neighborhood means more chance for crime.

Thomaston said she thinks Timberwood is safe and does not want this to change.

"There have been many mornings that I have woken up with my garage door still open and everything is still in my garage," Thomaston said.

The residents are upset with the construction and the future of the intersection, but the City Council is willing to work with them to fix the problem as best as they can.

Share and discuss “Neighborhood confronts City Council about construction concerns” on social media.