Tigers advance to first Sweet 16 in program history with 3-2 overtime win against Texas Tech

Auburn locked in its first Sweet 16 appearance in program history with A thrilling 3-2 overtime win against the Texas Tech Red Raiders Friday in Tallahassee, Florida.

Senior Logan Beal was the hero of the match, sending the game-winning goal in on a rebound shot from Casie Ramsier. The goal is Beal's third of the year and the fourth overtime victory for the Tigers.

"This team has done what it has done all year," said Auburn head coach Karen Hoppa. "We’ve shown the character and the heart and this team’s toughness and adversity has come out all year long. They stepped up to the challenge today.”

Auburn took the lead early in the match, getting two goals in the first half, but allowing Texas Tech to score one goal in both halves. Both Red Raider goals came from Janine Beckie, one off a penalty kick in the 27th minute. The Tigers responded every time before knocking in the winner in the 100th minute.

“I just saw the ball coming outside from Casie (Ramsier),” Beal said. “I was just trying to move and shake off the defender. I just wanted to get anywhere I could to get the rebound and get a touch on the ball. I just wanted to create chaos and lucky to have it go in.”

The win was the 16th win of the year for Auburn, setting a new record for wins in a single-season and marked win No. 200 for Hoppa as the Tigers head coach. 

Auburn moves on to face the Florida State Seminoles on Sunday. 

Share and discuss “Tigers advance to first Sweet 16 in program history with 3-2 overtime win against Texas Tech” on social media.