Counseling and recreation center provide tips for stress relief

Auburn provides resources to help students relieve stress

As the end of fall semester approaches, final tests, papers and projects accumulate while exams loom in the back of every student’s mind.

With hectic schedules and seemingly no free time to breathe, students can be detrimentally affected by stress.

According to the American College Health Association’s National College Health Assessment for Spring 2015, 30 percent of students reported stress affected their academic performance within the past 12 months.

Jan-Erin Miller, counselor in Student Counseling Services, said stress tends to fall in three different clusters, which are the physical, emotional and cognitive areas.

Miller said the first thing she does when somebody is feeling stressed is ask the person to start slowing down, take deep breaths and refocus.

She said often students are overworked, so it is helpful to pay attention to time management, and it is important for students to take care of themselves to lead healthy lifestyles in terms of eating properly, drinking plenty of water, exercising, getting plenty of sleep and spending time with friends. Students being able to clarify their values and their purpose in life is another significant aspect in stress relief, according to Miller.

Miller oversees the Zen Den, located in the Student Counseling Center in the Auburn University Medicial Clinic. The Zen Den includes a biofeedback room and relaxation room.

Miller said in the biofeedback room, a computer will measure a student’s heart rate and sweat production to interpret their level of stress. Students can play games on the computer to help them become more aware of techniques in reducing their stress. The relaxation room has a massage chair and space for yoga, according to Miller.

Any students can utilize the Zen Den by calling Student Counseling Services and scheduling an orientation.

Once students are oriented, they can schedule an appointment to use either room at any time for free.

Miller said next semester there will be a satellite office for the biofeedback equipment in the Student Center, which may be more accessible for some students than the medicial clinic.

Eric Bloch, counselor in Student Counseling Services, coordinates Mindful Mondays, which is every Monday from 4-5 p.m. in the Recreation and Wellness Center.

The class is free and does not require group passes. In Mindful Mondays, Bloch said he leads meditation and incorporates yoga, and he helps students focus on the present moment and learn to notice distractions when they happen.

Bloch said Mindful Mondays allows him to reach out to a large number of students.

“It’s a good opportunity to reach out to students and to give them a different opportunity to combat stress that’s not going over to student counseling and talking with a psychologist or something like that,” Bloch said.

Bloch said another stress-specific outreach effort the Student Counseling Services organizes is the finals week outreach event.

Student Counseling Services staff members and graduate students will host a variety of stress-relieving activities in the Ralph Brown Draughon Library for the event. Snacks and water will be provided.

Pam Wiggins, assistant director of group fitness at the Recreation and Wellness Center, said the center has a mind-body program, which offers yoga throughout the day and a mediation program.

Wiggins said an important part of dealing with stress is being aware of it. People are out of balance with themselves and their bodies, because society is focused on achieving success, according to Wiggins.

“I think a lot of us just don’t realize how stressed we are,” Wiggins said. 

Share and discuss “Counseling and recreation center provide tips for stress relief” on social media.