Students share No-Shave November knowledge

November has left The Plains, and that can only mean one thing — No-Shave November has come to a close.

As men all over Auburn’s campus dust off their razors and prepare for the return of baby face, some can’t bear to let go of what has become a part of them during the past 30 days.

Brian Hinger, senior in mechanical engineering, said he is proud of his successful month of hair growth.

Hinger is no rookie to growing a healthy beard.

A No-Shave November veteran, Hinger said he is aware of how fulfilling the month is, but hardships are in store for those who chose to make the move toward facial-hair manhood.

“When you first start growing a beard you’ve got the charming 5 o’clock shadow that slowly turns into a stylish stubble,” Hinger said. “That’s just the first week though.”

Hinger refers to the second week as “the itchy or intervention phase.”

According to Hinger, during this time, the beard appears untidy and is bothersome. Friends and family start to comment negatively and question the purpose, hence the intervention stage.

Hinger said people who oppose the process are unaware of what is to come.

The third and fourth week can be compared to “the promised land,” according to Hinger. He said all those who doubted the beard are now complimenting and praising it. Hinger said these two weeks make the entire month worthwhile.

Jack Buster Hinton, senior in forestry, said there are pros and cons to having a beard.

“There’s no in between for me,” Hinton said. “I go from baby face, a bit scruffy and then poof. I look homeless.”

Hinton referred to the rising beard trend as lumberjack culture. Despite some of the negative aspects of having a full beard, there are some worthwhile attributes.

According to Hinton, not having to shave saves money which could have been spent on razors or shaving cream.

Dustin Morgan, senior in forestry, said there are practical aspects of beard growth.

“In the winter, having a beard helps keep the warm in and the cold out,” Morgan said. “Oh, and having a beard helps with the ladies.”

The three men said they have enjoyed the month and do not plan on shaving soon.

Share and discuss “Students share No-Shave November knowledge” on social media.