Individual win, three preliminary qualifications highlight day one of the Conference Clash

The SEC leads the Power 4 conferences, 52-49, after one day or competition at the inaugural Conference Clash, thanks in part to several Auburn athletes.

Jessie Johnson led the way for Auburn, winning the pole vault with a 4.31-meter mark that currently ranks fifth in the nation.

Marshay Ryan, who was the runner-up in the triple jump at the 2014 NCAA Indoor Championships, finished second in the event with a 12.99-meter jump, which ranks sixth nationally.

All-American Shawn Johnson was not as successful, finishing eighth in the men's high jump with a 2.05-meter leap.

“We posted some NCAA-level marks from Jessie and Marshay, which was great to see,” Auburn coach Ralph Spry said. “Jonielle (Smith), Samantha (Scarlett), and Welington (Zaza) ran very well and were able to advance to tomorrow’s finals. We had a lot of good efforts, and I’m pleased with the way we competed. We have to build on that tomorrow.”

Smith, Scarlett and Zaza competed in preliminary action on day one of the two-day event and advanced to compete in the finals on Saturday.

Smith qualified fourth in the women's 200-meter dash with a 23.68, and she also advanced with an eighth-place finish in the 60-meter dash, which she ran in 7.31 seconds. Scarlett advanced to Saturday action in the 60-meter hurdles, clocking an 8.35 to finish fourth.

Zaza moved on to the men's 60-meter hurdles with a 7.85, good for fifth overall.

The Tigers will return to action on Saturday at 11 a.m. for field events, while the running events will begin at 12 p.m.

Share and discuss “Individual win, three preliminary qualifications highlight day one of the Conference Clash” on social media.