Around the SEC: Weekend In Review

Coming Together: Blakeney, LSU living up to expectations

Final: LSU 88, Mississippi State 77

LSU: Antonio Blakeney 31 its, 7 reb, 2 ast

Don't look now, but the Tigers are starting to figure it out. 

Highly touted before the season began, LSU has had its fair share of issues, but even through the struggles this unit has improved every week as freshmen Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney continue to mature in Johnny Jones’ system. After nearly knocking off Oklahoma on Jan. 31, the Tigers' (15-8) roller coaster season has reached a new high with wins over Auburn and Mississippi State – catapulting them to the top of the SEC standings with an 8-2 record in conference play.

Against the struggling Bulldogs on Saturday, Blakeney – rated the 15th-best high school player in the class of 2015 according to ESPN – eclipsed his previous career-high of 22 points with 31 on 11-for-17 shooting. Simmons added 16, and senior Keith Hornsby put up 25 in the win. Right in time for Mardi Gras season, the Bayou Bengals are playing some of their best basketball, and have the opportunity to separate themselves from the rest of the pack with matchups against South Carolina on Feb. 10, and Texas A&M on Feb. 13.

One win next week would place LSU firmly on the bubble, but two wins make the Tigers a NCAA tournament lock – right where everyone thought they’d be with that talented roster.

Back On Track: Murray makes history, Wildcats snap a two-game skid

Final: No. 20 Kentucky 80, Florida 61

UK: Jamal Murray 35 pts, 6 reb, 1 ast

Kentucky ended a two-game losing streak by dominating a hot Florida Gators squad in Rupp Arena on Saturday, and no Wildcat shined brighter than freshman Jamal Murray, whose 35-point performance broke multiple school records, per 247 sports.

-Murray’s career-high 35 points tied Terrence Jones for the most by a Kentucky freshman in a single-game.

-Murray’s 20 first half points were the most in the John Calipari era.

-Murray is the first freshman is school history to record two 30-point games.

-Murray’s eight 3-pointers tied Eric Bledsoe for the most ever by a freshman.

-Murray is the first Kentucky freshman ever to make a 3-pointer in each of his first 22 games.

Considering all the talent guards Kentucky has accumulated over the years, I think it’s fair to say that the Canadian is in good company.

When Opportunity Knocks: Gamecocks get their first top-10 road win since 2006

Final: No. 25 South Carolina 81, No. 8 Texas A&M 78

USC: Sindarius Thornwell 25 pts, 6 reb, 9 ast

Despite a 20-3 record, South Carolina had been in desperate need of a signature win to add to their tournament resume. The Gamecocks got that signature win in College Station behind a huge performance from junior Sindarius Thornwell.

South Carolina shot 7-for-10 from 3-point range in the first half, and 12-of-21 for the game. Michael Carrera made all six of his shots to finish with 20 points, Alex Caruso and Danuel House scored 16 points apiece for the Aggies.

Once considered the team to beat in the SEC, Texas A&M has now lost three of its last four. 

Share and discuss “Around the SEC: Weekend In Review” on social media.