Beauty and a Beast: Tanner's talents extend off the court

Auburn women’s basketball center Tra’Cee Tanner has earned herself a reputation as one of the most tenacious, experienced centers in the Southeastern Conference over the past four years. And with graduation right around the corner, the 6-foot-3 senior is going to have some important decisions to make sooner rather than later.

The overseas professional game could be a good option for her, but she’s also considering another route — something a little less tenacious and a little more stylish. 

Tanner, an apparel merchandising major, has always had passion for fashion and design, and sometimes, she doesn’t want to be the next DeWanna Bonner. Sometimes she wants to be the next Betsey Johnson.

“[Johnson] has a carefree-type ego about her,” Tanner said. “She really doesn’t care about what other people think, and she has her own style. I also love the work of Christian Siriano, because he has his own label and his own line.

“Those are two definitely role models I really look up to, with Christian Siriano being so young in the industry and Betsey Johnson being so notable. Johnson’s tactics and techniques have been unique to her. They’ve worked for her, and she’s stuck with them. That kind of makes me feel like if I keep an innovative mindset and stick to what I really want to achieve, I can be just as successful.”

One day, Tanner hopes to establish a brand of her own. Her teammates fully support her dreams, and even volunteer to model her designs occasionally.

“They’ve helped me advance my talents,” Tanner said. “Some of them would let me style them for the AUSPY’s and different events that we’ve had. I also do hair and makeup on the side. That’s something not a lot of people know about me.”

Tanner makes sure her hair, makeup and nails are done for every game, but don’t let that fool you. Beneath the beauty, lies a beast.

“When I’m on the court, I’m something completely different,” said Tanner. “If somebody hits me, I’m going to hit them back. But regardless of how physical I play, I still try to keep that girly girl aspect of me.”

Tanner feels like there isn’t enough personality in women’s basketball, and that gender stereotypes are holding the game back.

“I think there’s a misconception about how female basketball players are viewed," Tanner said. "They look at us like were so hardcore or trying to be guy-like. So, for us to be able to be females and also athletes, we always want to be able to have that balance. There are some girls that want to be more hardcore and be known on and off the court as that. But some of us want to let people know, 'That’s not me. I’m a lady off the court. I’m a lady on the court as well, but I can still get down and dirty when I need to.'” 

Share and discuss “Beauty and a Beast: Tanner's talents extend off the court” on social media.