Indian Student Association hosts Holi Festival

ISA hosts Holi Festival

Put together by the Indian Student Association (ISA), Holi Fest is celebrated on the campus of Auburn University by a diverse group of students on March 26, 2016.

Students, community members and families were hardly recognizable with their faces dowsed in colors. 

The 2016 Holi Festival held this morning on the Student Center greenspace attracted a crowd of more than 300 people. Holi, or the Festival of Colors, is celebrated in India at the start of each spring. The festivities begin in March and usually last approximately one week.

"In the old days, people used to play with colors made of crushed flowers and leaves," said Viraja Khollam, president of the Indian Student Association. "Now, we have organic colors made from rice and flour extract." 

The Indian Student Association hosted Holi from 10:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. The festivities began with Zumba dancing and mingling, followed by food and color throwing.

Chaffin Hart, sophomore in global studies, said she thoroughly enjoyed her first Holi. 

"I enjoy the community aspect," Hart said. "I love how everyone comes together from every stage of life."

The Indian Student Association handed out free white T-shirts for the event but quickly ran out. Advisor to ISA, Sushil Bhavnani, said the turnout this year was the best ever.

"I have been advisor for 15 years, and this is by far the most energetic group of officers we've ever had," Bhavnani said. "We also have so many new features [to Holi] this year and the largest turnout ever."

Bhavnani said he enjoyed having a "toned down" celebration with friends.

"In public spaces in India it tends to get out of hand," Bhavnani said. "I think it's best to be able to celebrate like this amongst friends." 

Share and discuss “Indian Student Association hosts Holi Festival ” on social media.