Airwaves concert gets cut short

Screams and boos could be heard from Auburn students as the University Program Council announced the 2016 Airwaves concert would be canceled because of severe weather. 

The concert featured Natalie La Rose, Lil Jon and Rae Sremmurd and was held in the Ag Heritage Park. The first two acts beat the rain but Rae Sremmurd was halfway into their performance when the announcement was made. 

Sara Purvis, freshman in early childhood education, said for her first concert she had a great time.

"The only other concert I've been to was Brad Paisley," Purvis said. "But this is way better because the crowd is just more involved and there are glow sticks."

Purvis didn't know much about La Rose but said she enjoyed her music.

"I don't know a lot of her songs, but I really enjoyed her," Purvis said. "I was listening to her in the car on the way here." 

University Program Council director Sagar Leva said he felt the hard work paid off.

"Overall the concert was amazing," Leva said. "We have heard so many great reviews already and are so glad we were able to do this for the students."

Glow sticks and La Rose's backup dancers excited the crowd. A few vendors were also there selling food and souvenirs.

George Wolfe, senior in building science, said he came to the concert expecting to have a good time. was most excited to hear Rae Sremmurd sing "Lit Like Bic."

"I love rap so I'm excited to hear Rae Sremmurd," Wolfe said. "Especially 'Lit Like Bic.'"

Leva felt the weather was unfortunate but he said safety is the first priority.

"When we got weather alerts for lightning we had to call the show," Leva said. "As always, safety is our top priority and not negotiable." 

Share and discuss “Airwaves concert gets cut short ” on social media.