SGA makes plans for the summer

<p>With 16 months remaining in the campaign, leaders say the University will continue raising funds.</p>

With 16 months remaining in the campaign, leaders say the University will continue raising funds.

SGA adviser Brad Smith, has made it clear to executive members and senators that their jobs are a year-round duty and so SGA is making plans to work on some projects this summer.

Emma Grace Laird, SGA chief of staff, said SGA will begin the process of working to accomplish a few goals.

“This summer, we hope to put in work on every goal that we have set for a year, but here are a few that we have identified as big priorities for the summer,” Laird said.

The first goal they are working toward is academics, according to Laird.

“We’ll continue to work on limiting the unassigned courses students run into when registering for classes, implement a syllabus bank that students can use to find out more information about classes before registering and working towards creating a policy that limits the amount of coursework that can be assigned the week before finals week,” Laird said.

SGA has also heavily discussed changes to dining, so they will be doing more with that as well this summer, according to Laird.

“We will implement a committee that is tasked with assessing the current state of dining at Auburn,” Laird said.

Laird said the next task would be to address Uber, which was a popular topic during SGA campaigns this year.

“We will continue to work with University administrators, city officials and Uber to bring Uber to the Auburn community,” Laird said.

Laird said the Student Act is another project they hope to address this summer, a project that was also an aspiration of the 2015–16 senate.

“Initiate the project to renovate the Student Activities Center to turn it into a 1200–1500 seat multi-use venue for events, speakers, shows, et cetera,” Laird said.

James Beauchaine, SGA treasurer, spoke about the importance of financial literacy during his campaign, and according to Laird, it is part of their summer goals as well.

“We will continue the work to improve financial literacy on Auburn's campus,” Laird said. “Have formal recommendations set for what we can tangibly do to accomplish this.”

Diversity, inclusion and outreach are also in the forefront of SGA members’ minds, Laird said. 

“We will assist in any way we can in the implementation of the results from the Campus Climate Survey,” Laird said. “Continue to reach out to all areas of campus and gather feedback to work for and foster an inclusive environment for all students.”

The last SGA summer goal is to make their presence known to incoming freshman.

“Welcome all incoming freshman to campus through the Camp War Eagle pep rallies and communicating to them all of the opportunities they have to get involved on Auburn’s campus,” Laird said.

Share and discuss “SGA makes plans for the summer” on social media.