Bentley calls for lottery referendum

(Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)
(Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)

Gov. Robert Bentley is calling a special session of the Alabama Legislature this year. His goal: a state lottery.

"The time has come for us to find a permanent solution," Bentley said. "This solution will provide funding that we can count on, year after year, without ever having to raise your taxes or put one more band-aid on our state's money problems. We must have a solution."

The state has struggled for years to pass a balanced budget with increasing costs and stagnant revenue. In a video posted Wednesday, Bentley said he is calling the special session this year with the goal of fixing Alabama's recurring budgetary problems.

"I need you, the people of this great state, to be a part of the solution," Bentley said.

In 2015, it took the regular session and two additional special sessions to balance a shortfall of more than $200 million. In the end, legislators refused to raise most essential taxes, opting instead for a combination of increases to some sin taxes and an $80-million raid of the Education Trust Fund.

"Let's hear from the people of this great state on whether the time has come to approve a statewide lottery to fund essential state services for our children, our elderly, those with mental illness, and those who are in the most need, as well as the men and women in law enforcement," Bentley said in the video.

This year, the Legislature appropriated the state's Medicaid agency about $87 million less than what Bentley said the organization needed. Bentley has warned that the shortfall may affect the agency's ability to provide healthcare coverage to hundreds of thousands of low-income enrollees.

Now, Bentley wants the Legislature to allow the citizens to vote on a constitutional amendment to allow the lottery, which he said could provide an estimated $225 million in new revenue. He wouldn't present legislation for any other types of gambling, though.

"My plan will dedicate the new revenue to the basic services our state must provide," Bentley said.

It appears Bentley's lottery would not help fund the state's education system. In Georgia, the state lottery funds HOPE scholarships and other funding for higher education. Most states use the lottery to fund education.

"It's time we stop supporting other states' budgets, and keep our money at home to solve our own problems," Bentley said. "I've always said I would not stand in the way of the people's right to vote on a lottery."

Bentley said Alabamians are some of the "best customers" of neighboring states' lotteries.

ā€œIā€™m am asking that each legislator allow the people back home the right to vote on a statewide lottery,ā€ Bentley said. ā€œI have faith in the people of this state to make the right and the best choice. I trust the voters. Our legislators must do the same."

Share and discuss “Bentley calls for lottery referendum” on social media.