Deer people, the Braves and Cam Newton: A campus-wide meetup

Snapchat Stories have been known to start international conversation. Last night, Auburn University's Campus Story started a new conversation about deer people and the Braves. 

At approximately noon on Thursday, Aug. 25, Samantha Daniel, freshman in nursing, and Kacie Hines, freshman in public relations, sent a Snap to the Campus Story asking for two males to accompany them to the Braves baseball game Sept. 9. 

Daniel and Hines said they had posted many Snaps on the Campus Story, but had not been selected yet. 

"We wanted to make it on to the Campus Story, and we wanted dates for the Braves game, so we decided to post it on the story for fun," Hines said. "We had no clue it would actually be selected." 

Masked by the deer face filter, the girls giggled with high-pitched electronically modified voices and their message was heard by Mitch Owens, freshman in business, and Riley Goff, sophomore in accounting.

"Riley came in my room and told me about the girls, and he said we should message back," Owen said. "I never thought that it would make it on the Campus Story." 

Owens and Goff said they were excited and a bit nervous to meet the girls. 

When the girls received the first reply, their initial reaction was "freak out," Hines said. This "freak out" can be seen on a Snapchat video submitted by another friend of Hines rolling around on her bed. She was without her "partner in crime" at first, but after the two were together Hines felt a bit calmer. 

"It was a whirlwind, honestly," Hines said. 

Eventually after over 15 Snaps were exchanged from various Auburn students, a meetup was set for 4 p.m. at the Cam Newton statue in front of Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

Goff said he chose the Cam Newton statue because it was a central place on campus that everyone is familiar with. 

There was a long pause on the channel where there was no response from the male deer, and Auburn students started to get involved. 

Allie Krumm, sophomore in nursing, was one of those who posted during the time gap. In Krumm's Snap she said, "Y'all I'm crossing my fingers hoping these deer men and women find each other." 

Krumm showed up to the meeting place to watch for the "deer people," as some were calling them. 

"I came because I made it on the Campus Story and a friend of mine asked me if I was going to go," Krumm said. 

A crowd of about 35 people gathered at a distance to watch as the four familiar Snapchat faces met for the first time. 

There was casual handshakes, a phone number exchange and a short photoshoot in front of the statue. The crowd cheered, "Hug! Hug! Hug," as the four greeted each other. 

"The crowd is insane," Daniel said. "Our friends were embarrassed for us, but we just went with it." 

Hines said her goal was to be on the Campus Story, and she succeed with five separate Snaps. Daniel and Hines said they felt the meetup and process of conversation was a success overall. 

After meeting Hines and Daniel, Goff said, "10 for 10, would do again." 

According to Hines, the four are planning on attending the Braves game and are looking forward to getting to know each other. 

Share and discuss “Deer people, the Braves and Cam Newton: A campus-wide meetup” on social media.