Public library prepares for this year's 'One Book, One Village'

Coretta Scott King and Newberry Award recipient Jacqueline Woodson has been selected as this year's "One Book, One Village" author at the Auburn Public Library.

Woodson is the author of "Brown Girl Dreaming," and will be presenting her work on Monday, Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. in the Auburn High School Performing Arts Center.

Her book is the 2016 book selection for the third annual One Book, One Village initiative, the goal of which is to unite the community through a common book.

For the One Book, One Village and its book selection, the public library acquired 207 copies of "Brown Girl Dreaming" for the public to check out and read during this eight-week reading event. 

This year’s event includes a poetry contest for eighth and ninth graders, a "show and tell" book group to discuss the reading and the finale presentation by Woodson.

The book is a memoir written in verse that discusses the author’s childhood in New York and South Carolina. It carries themes of self-discovery and overcoming obstacles.

Ashley Brown, engagement and outreach librarian, is over this year’s One Book, One Village program.

She said purpose of the event is to “show that the library supports the community more ways than one.”

“We wanted expansion to other audiences,” Brown said

Previous books chosen were for adult audiences such as Joshilyn Jackson’s "The Girl Who Stopped Swimming" and Lydia Netzer’s "Shine Shine Shine," but this year’s selection can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

“Reading is something you do on your own, independently … you cannot really share it," said Auburn Public Library Director Chris Warren. "By creating a community reading program, we can create a shared reading experience. Hopefully it goes beyond just reading the book and opens up conversations around the book too."

Warren said he is enthusiastic for the third year of the One Book, One Village selection.

“This is the third year," he said. "We had great attendance [for the previous two years] but we wanted to see what we could do to broaden the appeal and started working with Auburn city schools to choose [this year’s book].”

“As we brought the schools in [for the book selection], we have been able to see ways to expand the program.”

Before the finale presentation in October, Woodson will be a guest for Auburn City Schools' guest luncheon for Auburn teachers.  

“This is the first time that we have an author of this star reputation," Warren said. "We are looking to do this every other year, so we can pull our resources to attract [authors of that stature]. Ideally we can do it every year, but we want [to maintain] the quality that we anticipate this year. Doing it every other year will help us with that."

The Auburn Public Library, Auburn City Schools and Friends of Auburn Public Library have worked together to make this program possible. This is a community affair, Warren said.

“We are open for suggestions," Warren said. We exist to serve the community. Support the library by checking out books and using services."

The Show and Tell Book Group discussing "Brown Girl Dreaming" will meet Oct. 23 at 4 p.m and Oct. 25 at 6:30 pm.

Students interested in the poetry contest should receive full details about contest requirements on the Auburn Public Library website. Winners will be announced privately before presenting their pieces at the book presentation. The book presentation is open to the public.

Share and discuss “Public library prepares for this year's 'One Book, One Village'” on social media.