Auburn alum creates art inspired by historic Auburn buildings

An Auburn University alumnus turned his love for the Auburn Family into a work of art.

Leslie Thompson, 1990 foreign language graduate, created a collection of art inspired by historic buildings in Auburn. The collection, “The Auburn Anniversary Series of Etchings,” depicts four buildings: Samford Hall, Hargis Hall, Langdon Hall and the Auburn University Chapel.

Thompson was inspired during an Auburn abroad trip to Madrid, Spain, in 1976. He visited the Museo del Prado where he observed etchings for the first time and felt intrigued by the uncommon style. 

When he returned to Auburn, he said he tried to find classes to learn about creating pieces for himself.

“I realized that not a whole lot of artists were into it, so I decided to try my hand at printmaking and loved it,” said Thompson. 

He has worked in the field for 37 years and is hopeful that art students will start to take interest in studying printmaking. 

Auburn University offers a program where students can earn a bachelor of fine arts in studio art with a concentration in printmaking. 

According to the Department of Art and Art History website, “Students at Auburn University learn traditional techniques with a nontoxic emphasis, through courses on relief, intaglio and serigraphy. These techniques are augmented with newer digital technologies, including large format inkjet printing and laser cutting, allowing students to combine skills in digital imaging with traditional methods.”

Thompson has toured Biggin Hall where the printmaking studios are located.

“They have everything the students could need,” Thompson said. “The students have a lot of opportunity to create great art from what I’ve seen.”

He believes pieces that artists create should be meaningful. As a member of the “Auburn Family,” he tries to create the series of etchings to remember the historic beauty found in Auburn.

“It’s like a duty not to forget things like the Auburn buildings,” Thompson said.

Share and discuss “Auburn alum creates art inspired by historic Auburn buildings” on social media.