Auburn "starting to figure out" offensive identity

Auburn’s offense, at least according to the man in charge, is starting to find its groove.

After managing just 262 total yards in the season-opening loss to Clemson, Auburn has accumulated 706, 399, 388 and 688 yards in its previous four games, three of which the Tigers have won.

“We're starting to figure out who we are offensively,” said Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn. “I think we've got a chance to keep improving.”

The rushing attack has flourished, and quarterback Sean White has settled in as the starter. Even the offensive line, which was forced to reshuffle its look for the Louisiana-Monroe game because of an injury to center Xavier Dampeer, has improved.

“I think that really helps us moving forward with our depth and our confidence in him and his confidence in himself playing,” Malzahn said. “I thought Austin Golson did an outstanding job moving to center and they present a lot of challenges with the different blitzes they did. All the snaps were good. It think it was a really good thing moving forward with both of those positions getting that experience.”

The Tigers are averaging just 34 penalty yards per game, the best mark in the SEC. To keep that number low, especially in a raucous environment like Davis-Wade Stadium, will be challenging for an offensive line that hasn’t experience a road game as a unit yet.

“Communication will definitely be a big part of this week,” Malzahn said. “The fact that Xavier has experience I think will do nothing but help him. Those veteran guards around him, it will do nothing but help.”

One thing Malzahn did touch on was the balance between calling runs and passes in the red zone, an area Auburn has struggled with.

"If you really look at the history, when we’ve been really good red-zone offense, it’s because we ran the football and we were able to run the football," Malzahn said. "That’s where it has to start but at the same time you have to be efficient enough, especially when they know you’re throwing the football. 

"That’s when it gets challenging. It’s third down and goal from the 6 to the 10, there’s a good chance you’re gonna throw the football. That’s really a big emphasis on what we’re doing moving forward, but at the same time he run, play-action things down there, there’s a time for all of it.

Kerryon Johnson is the only running back with real rushing experience on the road, and the depth behind him was thinned out even more on Monday, with the news that freshman Malik Miller underwent knee surgery and would be out for more than a month.

Freshman Kam Martin will likely receive more reps in Miller’s absence, should game situations call for it. Malzahn also noted receiver Stanton Truitt, who had already been used in jet sweeps, could see more action running the football as well.

Share and discuss “Auburn "starting to figure out" offensive identity” on social media.