Jeremy Johnson, defense lead Auburn to 55-0 rout of Alabama A&M

When Jeremy Johnson arrived at Auburn in 2013, he was considered one of the best young quarterback prospects in the country and a perfect fit as the future of Gus Malzahn's offense. It seemed like the sky was the limit once he took the reigns from the explosive Nick Marshall.

Unfortunately, life and college football don't always go as planned. Johnson was plagued by poor decision making and ultimately relinquished the starting job to Sean White. Johnson would have to adopt a different role as a leader off the field.

On Saturday night, however, Johnson's career came full-circle. With White out with a shoulder injury, Johnson got to start the final game of his career at Jordan-Hare Stadium. And he didn't waste his opportunity. 

The senior signal-caller rolled up 189 yards of offense and three touchdowns (two on the ground and one through the air) in No. 15 Auburn's 55-0 win over Alabama A&M. The Tigers first 31 points came with No. 6 leading the charge.

“Running out on the field one last time, being around my teammates and playing this game was very fun," Johnson said. "We had a lot of smiles.”

Johnson finished 14-for-19 for 147 yards and a 14-yard scoring strike to freshman Kyle Davis in the second quarter. He added 42 yards and two scores on six carries, with his second score coming on his final career snap on The Plains early in the third quarter.

For a player who had nothing short of a roller coaster career, there wasn't a better note he could've gone out on. He credited his teammates for helping him through the more difficult times and allowing him to succeed during the better times during his career, which made his home finale all the more special.

“They know I’d do anything for them and they’d do anything for me," Johnson said. "They’ve always been behind me. I could always go and talk to them. They never turned their back on me or looked at me some kind of way. I love those guys and I’m going to miss being around them.”

The embattled quarterback has had some notable struggles in the past, including being booed by the Auburn crowd at points. But during senior night, the crowd was behind him, the team was behind him, and he played with all the confidence of a senior who's seen all the highs and lows the sport has to offer. His performance was nothing short of cathartic.

“It felt great," Johnson said. "A lot of people have been behind me and a lot of people have wanted to see me fail. That comes with life. Enjoy the moment.”

Johnson's first two scores, as well as a short scoring run from Kerryon Johnson (his 11th of the year) and a field goal from Daniel Carlson gave the Tigers a 24-0 lead at halftime.

In the second half, after Johnson exited the game for the final time of his home career, quarterback John Franklin III and freshman running back Kam Martin did the rest of the work for Auburn. Martin had a career-high night, rushing 21 times for 176 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Franklin also made his presence felt with 84 yards on just four carries, including a 39-yard touchdown.

On the night, Auburn's offense rolled up 451 rushing yards — the team's fourth 400-yard game this season — and 598 total yards. But what Auburn did on the other side of the ball might have been even more significant.

The Tigers defense was swarming on Saturday night, holding the Bulldogs to 130 yards (including just 27 on the ground), 9 first downs and no points. It was Auburn's first shutout since the 2008 season opener, when the Tigers defeated UL-Monroe 34-0.

The senior class that played their final collegiate home game was in middle school the last time Auburn's opponent didn't score.

“I’m really just proud of my teammates that we can go out there and do that," senior defensive tackle Montravius Adams said. "I’m happy to be on this team and happy for the guys that helped me get the shutout.”

Adams earned the second interception of his career (the first came in 2014 against Louisiana Tech) on the Bulldogs third snap of the game. Quarterback De'Angelo Ballard's pass was deflected by Dontavius Russell, causing the ball to bounce back to Ballard. The ball deflected off of him and into Adams' hands. Stephen Roberts also recorded an interception on a deep pass in the third quarter, his second of the season.

"It's what we've been talking about all week — just play for our seniors and get a shutout for them," Roberts said. "Ever since they've been here they haven't had a shutout, so that was our goal all week in practice."

Fourth-year junior defensive end Carl Lawson, whose NFL Draft stock has never been higher, partook in Auburn's senior night festivities. No decision has been made about his future, but on this night, he and the class of defenders he came to town with got to go out with a bang by earning that elusive goose egg on the scoreboard.

No matter how the season ends for the Tigers in the Iron Bowl and the bowl game, that's something Auburn's defensive seniors can hold onto for life.

Share and discuss “Jeremy Johnson, defense lead Auburn to 55-0 rout of Alabama A&M” on social media.