Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson reflect on their careers ahead of the Sugar Bowl

When defensive linemen Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson arrived on Auburn’s campus in 2013, they were the headlining recruits for a program in disarray. Auburn had just gone 3-9 and hired a new head coach. What their college years would produce was uncertain.

However, their freshman year resulted in a SEC title run and a chance at the national championship. After a couple of disappointing seasons, the defensive duo is gearing up for another big postseason game: the Sugar Bowl against the Big 12 champion, Oklahoma Sooners.

“I came to Auburn to play in games like these,” Lawson said. “I am extremely blessed.”

Lawson and Adams could both be considered blessed. Adams graduated from Auburn earlier this month. The Sugar Bowl will be the final time he plays in orange and blue. After that, it’s off to the NFL and, almost certainly, a multi-million dollar contract.

Adams isn’t focusing on the professional game and money just yet. He’s still letting his achievements thus far soak in. He’ll wear the “SEC Graduate” patch on his Sugar Bowl uniform with pride.

“For me, I know my mom wanted me to come back last year, and with me coming back, I got it,” Adams said. “It’s just another reference so she can really see.”

Playing in big bowl games to begin and end his career has provided Adams with some perspective for how he’s grown as a player and a person between the improbable Rose Bowl run and the upcoming challenge of facing Bob Stoops’ Sooners.

“You just take things more seriously and enjoy the moment,” Adams said. “Being a freshman, you’re just out there doing what you do. But now, being a senior, you know it’s your last time. This is the last time you will be able to be with your brothers. You really just try to soak everything up and enjoy the moment.”

Lawson might be playing in his final game in an Auburn uniform, as well. As a fourth-year junior, he’s considered by many to be one of the best defensive ends in the 2017 NFL Draft class and could be picked as high as the first round should he choose that route.

But while many focus on his future, Lawson is zeroed in on the task at hand.

“I am really focused on Auburn,” Lawson said.

Now might be a prime opportunity for Lawson to go. After dealing with injuries throughout his career, he stayed healthy this season and racked up a team-high nine sacks. His health has allowed him to stay on the field and perform highly. 

“I’m feeling great, healthy and stronger than before,” Lawson said. “It’s (been) a great experience, bad stuff aside. Every day at Auburn has been great; fellowship with my brothers and getting to live this college experience, everything up to this point has been a great experience.”

Adams departing is a big enough hit for the Tigers going into 2017, and losing Lawson early to the draft would double the Tigers’ woes of finding new stars on the defensive line. Likewise, Lawson is confident the culture of Auburn’s defense and its collective leadership were more important to the unit’s success this season than any individual player.

“The thing about our defense, what I feel has made us so good this year, is that everybody (is a leader)”, Lawson said. “At any given time in the game, any one person can spark up the defense. That’s what I think makes us different.”

Share and discuss “Montravius Adams and Carl Lawson reflect on their careers ahead of the Sugar Bowl” on social media.