COLUMN: Tips for maintaining healthy eating habits this holiday

I know I don't have to tell any of you that it's way harder to eat healthy and exercise around the holidays.

I don't know what it is about Christmas and Thanksgiving that turns humans into bottomless pits for sweets and carbs, but for some reason we become zombies in search of anything edible.

If you're like me, you're trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle and the holidays are creeping up faster than you realize. 

While temptation might be staring you in the face saying, "Eat it. It won't kill you," stop for a minute and check out these tips to help you remain calm and guilt free this holiday season.

1. Don't starve yourself

For some reason, many people seem to think if you eat less you will lose weight. And while that might be true, it isn't safe or effective. Eating less will cause you to binge eat, which is worse for you. Cutting out a salad for lunch, but indulging in a dozen chocolate chip cookies at midnight will only set you back. 

2. Plan what you will be eating each day

Every day when you wake up you should have a rough idea of what you'll be eating that day. If you know you have a big meal with family or friends coming up, eat a few small meals beforehand to ensure that you eat a normal amount and don't end up stuffing your face. 

3. Moderation is key 

You've heard it your whole life: Everything is fine in moderation. This is true. If you *have* to have a chocolate chip cookie, then by all means have one, but stop there. Same goes for the delicious holiday foods that your mom only makes once a year. Eat them, but in small portions. 

4. Don't eat unhealthy foods alone

You can have a piece of pie or a dinner roll if you choose to, but remember to accompany those things with other foods like vegetables and proteins. A big ol' spoonful of mashed potatoes is fine, as long as you have some grilled chicken or asparagus right next to it.

5. Keep up your workout routine

If you exercise regularly, do not use Christmas or New Year's as an excuse to quit. Even if you only have 30 minutes a day, go outside or go to the gym and get a good sweat in. If you're eating more calories, it is important that you don't quit exercising

I hope you all enjoy your holidays and eat lots of yummy food. Remember, just because it's holiday time doesn't mean those few extra pounds won't creep on. Eat as close to clean as you can and get those feet moving a few times each week.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Tips for maintaining healthy eating habits this holiday” on social media.