Alabama Oyster Social draws large crowds

The third annual Alabama Oyster Social took place on Saturday, Jan. 28 at the ALFA Pavilion, formerly known as the Red Barn, in Ag Heritage Park.

The event welcomed such an overwhelming amount of people that eventually the fire marshall was forced to turn guests away. Entry into the event was monitored for the rest of the night. 

The event featured 11 different oyster varieties, prepared by over a dozen of the region’s leading chefs, and were spread across a 35-foot raw bar.

The event began in order to celebrate the work of Dr. Bill Walton, the Auburn University Shellfish Lab and the Alabama oyster movement. However, this year, money was raised to help relocate several oyster farms whose lease was declined to be renewed.

Speaking to the crowd, Dr. Walton wished that a year from now the event could celebrate how “Alabama moved forward and got better” from the funds raised during the event.

David Bancroft, head chef at Acre, has assisted in heading all three of the oyster socials.

Acre’s philosophy, which includes sourcing local and sustainably produced food, aligned with the work done by Dr. Walton and the Auburn University Shellfish Lab. 

“I know for a fact that my oysters are coming from a farmer I know I can support," said Caleb Fischer, Acre’s chef de cuisine.

Oysters, one of the most renewable and sustainable products of aquaculture, play a vital role in the local economies of several farming communities along the Gulf.

"If we continue to invest in a sustainable food, there will be a food source for people to eat and an economic engine for those who serve in the restaurant business and also those who are farming right down there on the ocean,” said Chris Bowles, a representative for Kudu Grills. 

Most attendees came out for the opportunity to sample the wide variety of oysters while contributing to the newly burgeoning Alabama oyster movement.

Chef Cory Bahr from Monroe, La. expressed his excitement for participating in the social. 

“Oysters are one the quintessential types of seafood of the Gulf, and for me to work with some of the most beautiful oysters in the country, all coming from the Gulf, is a huge honor," Bahr said.

Bahr said the event was overall a huge success, and he looks forward to next year. 

“Between the bourbon and the bivalves, this is really great," Bahr said.

Share and discuss “Alabama Oyster Social draws large crowds ” on social media.