Ridley Scott’s RSA Films announces virtual reality division

RSA Films, co-founded by director and producer Ridley Scott, is in the process of creating a Virtual Reality Division to formalize and streamline the production of their VR work.

The first project for the newly founded division will be a VR companion piece to Ridley Scott’s Alien: Covenant, which will be produced in cooperation with the FoxNext Innovation Unit at 20th Century Fox.

“We have been heavily involved in VR for the past few years, and having a dedicated standalone division underscores our commitment to immersive media in both the brand and entertainment space,” said RSA Films President Jules Daly to Variety.

“RSA’s roster includes incredibly talented directors who understand the unique language of VR. We are pleased to offer this formidable resource to our clients.”

RSA and 20th Century Fox have teamed up before in creating “The Martian VR Experience,” a space-themed Mars experience inspired by Ridley Scott’s award winning science fiction The Martian based on the novel by the same name.

The RSA VR Division has ambitions beyond short marketing campaigns for their blockbuster movies and corporate clients, and it is currently working on a virtual reality series called Blackbox in production with a company called EndlessVR. Also in production is a VR documentary series shot and directed by celebrity photographer Michael Muller.

Ridley Scott isn’t the only filmmaker embracing the opportunities afforded by new technology, and famed writer, director and producer Kathryn Bigelow has also begun exploring VR. Google’s Spotlight Story Pearl, the VR story of a girl and her dad on a cross country adventure, was nominated for an Academy Award, spurring directors and creatives to take VR seriously as the potential story telling medium of the future. 

Share and discuss “Ridley Scott’s RSA Films announces virtual reality division” on social media.