SGA Chief of Staff Jacob Tofani resigns

Jacob Tofani has resigned from his position as the Student Government Association's chief of staff on Friday morning.

Tofani has served as chief of staff since the beginning of SGA President Jacqueline Keck's administration. The chief of staff is an executive position in SGA responsible for overseeing the operations of the executive cabinet.

In an email Tofani sent to the SGA Cabinet, he said he had decided to step down because it would be best for him and for the SGA.

"Finding a balance between my involvement and academics has been a challenge, and the commitment to several organizations has lessened my ability to perform well in each," Tofani said in the email.

Tofani said he will be commissioned as an army officer after graduation and felt it was his responsibility to prioritize his ROTC training.

SGA Adviser Brad Smith commented on Tofani's resignation.

"Unfortunately, Jacob decided he needed to resign as he did not believe he could continue fulfilling his multiple responsibilities to the best of his ability and maintain his personal health," Smith said. "Pursuing a future as an Army Officer, he decided he needed to focus his energy on his ROTC commitments and academics, and we support him in that decision as those things should come first."

Keck commented on his resignation, saying she understood his decision, but nonetheless, he would be missed. 

"In resigning, Jacob did what was best for him personally and for SGA as a whole," Keck said. "Although it is a loss and we will miss him being Chief of Staff, he will be able to find balanced and better focus on ROTC and his other commitments. I always strive to put people above projects, in this case, position. I fully support Jacob's decision and am thankful for all he has contributed to our team over the past three months."

At the time of publication, Tofani had not yet responded to the requests for comment. Keck will appoint a replacement soon, and SGA will "continue to operate as it should," Tofani said in his email.

Share and discuss “SGA Chief of Staff Jacob Tofani resigns ” on social media.