SGA discusses Lowder finals week hours and Governor Ivey

<p>Graduate students share how COVID-19 impacts their post-grad plans.</p>

Graduate students share how COVID-19 impacts their post-grad plans.

During the Student Government Association's last meeting of the semester, senators discussed finals week, the campus safety walk and Governor Kay Ivey.

Dane Block, business senator, said Lowder Hall will be open 24 hours a day during finals week to accommodate students' study schedules.

Brad Smith, SGA advisor, encouraged senators to take the campus safety walk seriously so helpful changes can be implemented as soon as possible through the University.

"We never know what tangible things tonight's safety walk prevents, but I guarantee you there are things it's preventing because of your work," Smith said. "Whether it's more lighting on campus, more blue lights on campus, whether it's shrubs that we ask the University to trim down to make pathways feel more safe, things always come out of this that the University very quickly acts upon."

Ashley Johnson, human sciences senator, said she is looking to work with the University to try and improve the condition of Spidle Hall.

"We've been talking more about the conditions in Spidle," Johnson said. "A lot of teachers have been canceling classes because there's no air conditioning."

Dixon Simmons, budget and finance committee chair, said the initial budget is due Wednesday, April 26.

"We'll be in contact with SAP's [student activity portfolio] tomorrow about that," Simmons said.

Liberal Arts Senator Ken Ward presented an accommodation during general orders of business asking the senate to recognize the accomplishments of Kay Ivey, Auburn alumna and Governor of Alabama.

"Governor Ivey is actually an Auburn graduate and during her time at Auburn was a member of the SGA senate and was also the first female [SGA] vice president in Auburn's history," Ward said. "She's a big example of what someone who's an Auburn graduate is and what they can become later in life. She has served in three of the state's constitutional elected offices. For all three of those positions she was the first Republican woman to serve in those positions in the state of Alabama. That's a big accomplishment."

Simmons echoed Ward's sentiments and said he believes Ivey deserves to be celebrated by the senate.

"I think this is so awesome that we're doing this," Simmons said. "Governor Ivey really embodies what it means to be an Auburn woman, and I don't think we've had a female governor in quite a while."

During his remarks at the meeting's close, Smith said he was extremely impressed with the initiative each member of SGA's shown during their time serving this semester.

"The initiative that has been taken in your committees already is stronger than I'm used to, which is really encouraging and exciting," Smith said. "Thank you for the way that you're pushing the agenda in good ways. I look forward to you guys finding your way to do that over the summer as well."

Share and discuss “SGA discusses Lowder finals week hours and Governor Ivey” on social media.