COLUMN: How to be stylin' on a budget

When it comes to college, everyone is looking to save money wherever they can. There is a commonly held misconception that to be well-dressed you must spend a lot of money. By shopping smart and making the most of items already in your wardrobe you can look your best without breaking the bank.   

Shopping second hand is one of the easiest ways to save money and be more environmentally conscious while avoiding shopping fast fashion. The Auburn area offers a wide range of second hand shops where you can both sell old clothes for a small commission and buy gently used name brand pieces for a fraction of the retail price. 

Plato's Closet is one of the better-known consignment shops servicing the Auburn area. Known for carrying trendy, name brand pieces Plato's Closet offers a wide range of brand name clothing for teens and twenty-somethings. 

Fringe Consignment Boutique in Opelika is a local consignment boutique that carries a wide range of boutique and designer brand clothing, shoes and accessories. If you prefer to do your clothing shopping online websites like Thredup and Poshmark are great ways to sell and buy secondhand pieces. 

You can search for specific brands, pieces or styles on these extensive online market places and have the pieces shipped straight to your door. Each website also allows you to sell your items through their online market place. 

Whether you prefer to shop in store or online there are numerous ways to shop second hand and pick up designer duds for a fraction of their retail price. 

With formals, date parties and other dressy events happening every semester buying the proper attire can get pricey. Renting this attire can potentially save you hundreds of dollars and prevents you from purchasing an item you will only wear once. 

Rent the Runway has become one of the most well-known ways to rent stylish dresses for any occasion, from a job interview to a wedding day there is a style for any need. By renting instead of buying, you only pay a fraction of the price and you are not left with a dress that will never be re-worn. 

If you are looking for a more local option, the app Curtsy allows you to rent dresses and other formal attire from people in your area. Curtsy has a wide-range of clothing from game day attire to black-tie appropriate dresses. 

The advantage Curtsy has over other rental companies if you can try on the piece before you commit to the rental price, avoiding any last-minute disasters. Whether you are looking for a timeless gown or a game-day romper renting can be an easy way to try a new look without breaking the bank.  

You do not have to be a fashion designer to make your own pieces full of personality. From distressing denim to making dress patterns, there are numerous online resources to guide you in the process of creating your own one of a kind pieces. 

Next time when you are looking to go out and buy a new item, shop your own closet and see what you can create with items you already have. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: How to be stylin' on a budget ” on social media.