COLUMN: Make your dorm move-in easier

Each fall, hundreds of freshman move into dorms on Auburn’s campus with cars full of clothes, twin bedding and hopes for a fresh start. 

Each student has a different approach to moving into on campus housing, but all are rookies at the start. Here are some tips to make the whole process easier. 

Don't overpack

Take it from someone who has been around the block a time or two, do not over pack. You do not need to take your entire closet because there is no way that it will fit in the shoebox that is in The Quad or The Village. 

Chances are, if you haven't worn or used it in the last six months, you won't be using it the next. Only bring the essentials.

Make a plan

Moving in can be as easy as you make it, as long as you plan ahead and ask way a lot of questions. I did not ask enough questions and when move in day came around I was not as prepared as I should have been. 

Know exactly when and where your move-in will take place, and make sure to make a checklist of all the things you will need at least a week in advance.

Be practical 

We are all college students surviving on a budget. With that said, you do not need a custom twin XL bed skirt to match your pottery barn bedding. Chances are it will not survive until move-out in May. 

Living on your own for the first time, you will find yourself eating mac 'n' cheese in your bed at 1 a.m., and sometimes you spill things. So go and get bedding from Walmart and cut up a king sheet to make a bed skirt because you are in college and you are balling on a budget for the next four years. 

Also, do not use your Walmart gift card you got for graduation on a TV because you will not turn that TV on your entire first semester, trust me. There are classes to attend, friends to make and many different organizations to get involved in that you will not have any time to watch TV. If you feel the need to watch a movie, turn on Netflix. If you do not have Netflix become friends with someone who does. 

Know your space

All on-campus dorms are small, and chances are you are sharing a room with another person so making the most out of your space is key. You can store things under your bed, under your desk, above your closet and many other places to keep your room from getting cluttered. This also helps keep your room more organized. 

Remember that Rubbermaid's are your friends, especially those with three drawers. You can fit two of those under a dorm bed for extra storage and still have room.

Look for other sources

Each residence hall has their own dos and don’ts that need to follow Auburn Housing and Residence Life. All of Auburn’s Housing move-in tips can be found on their website.

These are just some tips from a girl who has tackled The Quad and The Village during her time at Auburn. Honestly, moving in can be what you make of it and can be a stress-free experience as long as you use your space, time and money wisely. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Make your dorm move-in easier” on social media.