COLUMN: The Do's and Don'ts of Auburn

When it comes to being a student at Forbes best university in Alabama, there are many do’s and don’ts to being the best Auburn Tiger that you can be. From game days to test days, Auburn continues to shape its students to be the best they can be and make their experience as a student unforgettable. Here are all the basics for being an Auburn Tiger:

DO: Greet people with “War Eagle!” Auburn’s battle cry has evolved into a saying used to say hello, goodbye and a conversation starter with strangers. The Auburn family has unique traditions that alumni hold near and dear.

DON’T: Do not, under any circumstances, step on the seal. Legend has it that if an Auburn student steps on the seal they won't graduate in four years and they won't marry a fellow Auburn grad. However, if someone does step on the seal, this can be reversed if you jump in the President’s fountain on the leap day of a leap year.

DO: Go to every home football game. There is nothing like standing in the student section for home games with the eagle flying over your head as everyone gives out a big “War Eagle!”

DON’T: Don't forget an empty water bottle when going to the game, because there are Weagle Water stations in the stadium for free and easy fill ups.

DO: Take advantage of your TigerCard on campus. It works on vending machines, any on campus dining venue, the food trucks around campus and the concession stand at any home football game.

DON’T: Don't ignore the clear bag policy. Auburn adopted this policy with safety in mind. Fans can bring in Ziplock bags or any tote bag that is clear to ensure safety and efficiency at the gates. Small clutches are allowed but be expected to bare all when entering the gates because it will be searched.

DO: Plan ahead for any situation. Whether it be game days or a day spent in the library, Auburn weather is unpredictable and unforgiving so use your resources wisely.

DON’T: Don't avoid the concourse during Welcome Week because there are opportunities for free food, coupons to local stores and ways to get involved around campus.

DO: Visit every table on O-Day. It's surprising how many different organizations there are on campus. In order to maximize your Auburn experience, pick up as many information packets as possible; you will be surprised how much you will enjoy being involved.

DON’T: Don't skip class. Even though that 8 a.m. lecture filled with 300 of your fellow Auburn students sounds rough on a rainy Tuesday, go anyway. The one time you aren't in attendance your professor will give a pop quiz.

DO: Go to office hours and make connections with your professors. It pays off when you become confused on a topic in class, need a recommendation for applying to a program or you end up actually enjoying their class and their perspective on the subject they're teaching.

DON’T: Don't avoid Study Partners, a student to student tutoring system available in the library upon appointment. The students who are the tutors have taken the class previously and have tips and tricks that helped them get them through it.

DO: Go to the Recreation and Wellness Center. It is scientifically proven that exercising relieves stress, and this is the perfect place to do it. This 240,000 square foot facility was built in 2013 and includes a 1/3-mile indoor track, two 50-foot rock climbing walls and more than 150 group fitness classes.

DON’T: Don't park in the incorrect parking zones. Auburn Parking Services cracks down around football season, so pay attention to your email for when your car needs to be moved before game days.

DO: Enjoy your time at Auburn, make new friends, explore new things and take advantage of all of your resources because it will fly by.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: The Do's and Don'ts of Auburn” on social media.