What to know about move-in 2017

While some may be intimidated by the seemingly endless amount of stairs to climb with bursting boxes of personal belonging, University Council and Interim Vice President of Auxiliary Services Jon Waggoner, said move in day is one of his favorite Auburn traditions. 

Waggoner said there is something about having the whole family on campus to celebrate a student's next step. Move-in days this year are set for Aug. 11 and 17. The Quad will be a busy area on Aug. 11 and the rest of the campus will be busting on Aug. 17. 

"There's all kinds of calamity coming together, and yet, underneath all of that, there is an excitement," Waggoner said. "All of a sudden people show up, and they start helping you move things, and you see what Auburn is all about. You see the parents' faces change from, 'I am hating this day' to 'Wow, I feel good leaving my kid here.'" 

Waggoner said 2017 might be the only year he is able to have a role in move-in day, so he wants to be sure to accent it in any way he can. To Waggoner, every part of the welcome to Auburn is fantastic, but the one element to be improved was the move-in experience. 

Kelsey Prather, communications and marketing specialist for auxiliary services, plays a huge role in the planning of move-in days and said the changes are "experience oriented." 

Prather said the move-in team is partnering with organizations around campus and businesses around Auburn to create an all-encompassing perspective and feel for Auburn once students and their parents arrive on campus. There will be food trucks stationed around the dormitories and indoor rest areas for volunteers. 

There are special guests set to make appearances throughout the day. Aubie, President Steven Leath and possibly a few of the coaches might be giving you a hand with your matress. Other upper administrators might be seen, and Prather said students should keep their eyes open. 

WEGL radio, the student-run radio station, will be onsite live giving updates on traffic, weather and playing music to please parents and students alike. Prather laughed and said she is interested to hear what kind of jams come up. 

"We will also be highlighting the alumni this year," Prather said. "They will be given a different color t-shirt that will set them apart." 

Prather said volunteers that lived on campus while they were attending Auburn will be stationed at the dorm they lived in to allow students the chance to hear stories and learn from alumni experiences. 

Waggoner said Auburn has reached out to businesses around the area to send volunteers to help with boxes of belongings while talking to students about what is offered around the city. Student organizations have also been notified and welcomed to send volunteers, Waggoner said. 

"O-Days are great to get people to join your group, but when you help someone move-in and then get the chance to say, 'Hey, I am in this organization, you should check it out,' it will mean a lot more," Waggoner said. 

Prather said they hope to have anyone helping that is interested. The application to volunteer is on the housing website. 

For those who would like to help in some way, but are older or unable to life boxes, Waggoner said come forward to help. 

"It's not really about moving boxes from the cars to the dorms, it's more about the welcome," Waggoner said. "If you can't move boxes, we would love for you to stand at the curb and direct people and explain things they need to understand. Everybody can voluteer." 

Those that shouldn't stay outside for long can be in the lobby helping other volunteers relax after working, Waggoner said. 

Share and discuss “What to know about move-in 2017” on social media.