Column: A Long-shot

Doug Jones's fight for Alabama

The Republican Party and Alabama were all set to welcome former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore to the Senate on December 12th. With a proven track record for conservative policies, Roy Moore was destined to become another, in a long line of Republican Senators.

Democratic candidate, Doug Jones, has seen a new wave of support and attention come his way following the news last week. Five women have now come forward alleging that Roy Moore sexually harassed them in years past.

With growing attention to the issue of sexual harassment, Roy Moore has been criticized by many, and doubts surrounding his chances have crept into the Republican Party.

This is great news for opponent Doug Jones. Roy Moore’s questionable past along with the enormous Democratic wins on November 7th, could be a huge opportunity for Democrats this year. The momentum is certainly in their favor, but only hard work could earn them the win.

Alabama hasn’t elected a democratic Senator since the early 1990s, when now Republican Senator Richard Shelby was himself, a Democrat.

Over the next few weeks, Democrats across the state will be action volunteering, canvasing, and most importantly, voting.

President of the Auburn College Democrats, Weston Sims, has plans of his own. He and others have been registering students to vote on the Haley concourse, providing absentee ballots, and canvassing on behalf of Doug Jones whenever possible.

Sims says that there are also phone banking sessions coming up, which will reach voters throughout the state. Additionally, the Auburn College Democrats have been working with the Lee County Democratic Club to get the word out.

Sims had strong words to say about Moore,

“Roy Moore jeopardizes our state's economic, moral, and social prosperity. His antics will scare away business, mar our state's conscience, and further divide our people. Roy Moore is more interested in political grandstanding than effecting positive change, and so he would make Alabama look like a national, self-righteous embarrassment.”

While strong, Sims’s opinion is considered, by many, to be fitting. In terms of record, Doug Jones is simply a better candidate. In addition to sexual misconduct allegations, Roy Moore has been removed as Alabama Chief Justice twice for ethics violations. On the other side of the aisle, Doug Jones has long fought for justice and doesn’t possess the same questionable ethical code. Alabama voters face a great moral dilemma this election, but the choice seems clear.

Despite Alabama’s historical unwillingness to elect a Democrat, perhaps now is the right time. Republicans have long promised results and yet, delivered little. Doug Jones is certainly not a guarantee for progress, but he deserves a chance to prove himself. He wants to unite Alabamians toward common goals. Providing healthcare, promoting education, and supporting veterans are just a few of the goals Jones wants to accomplish.

While Doug Jones may be a long-shot, underdogs should never be counted out. As more citizens get involved, his chances continue to rise.

The Auburn College Democrats encourage students to sign-up to work at table on the concourse, registering voters. Another way students can help is to be informed and inform others. Both voter apathy and voter ignorance weaken democracy, but we hold the collective power to change that.

This election Sims says, “We have to emphasize empathy, and stress the benefits of a community where all citizens feel represented and supported. Doug Jones is a level-headed, kind man who deeply cares about the well-being of all of our people. He's willing to work with republicans, too, which is something we need more of from democrats. He's the best solution to so many of Alabama's issues, and so we've got to do all we can to elect him. If not for ourselves, then for the rest of our fellow citizens.”

Share and discuss “Column: A Long-shot” on social media.