Holiday lighting ceremony brings the Auburn Family together

Samford Lawn lit up this weekend as members of the Auburn community gathered to witness the lighting of the Christmas Tree and Menorah. Children and adults alike crowded around to take multiple pictures in front of the Christmas tree and listen to the Christmas songs.

Leading up to the actual event, SGA partnered with Project Uplift and hosted a toy drive in order to collect toys for families in need this holiday season. Sarah Turner, one of the directors of the lighting event, said there were approximately $1,000 in donations given to the cause.

“We just wanted to incorporate something that would be given to the Auburn community,” Turner said. “The holiday lighting ceremony is supposed to bring the Auburn students and community together, and so we just wanted a way to celebrate the holiday season and give back.”

During the ceremony, Project Uplift was presented with Auburn’s donations. The event included cookies, crafts and performances by AU Singers and AU Choir. 

Miss Auburn Ashley Moates made an appearance to read “Twas the Night Before Christmas” to the children where it snowed on The Plains, courtesy of a foam machine.

“It’s been an incredible experience just seeing how much detail goes into an event like this and how much planning goes into something like this," Turner said. "It’s taken so many people to help make this a success. It’s been fun, I’ve enjoyed it a lot.”

Arianna Haynes, freshman in pre-nursing, shared her favorite part of the ceremony.

“I was in charge of the kids' stations and stuff," Haynes said. "That was a lot of fun, seeing how happy they were to make the ornaments and then, of course, lighting the tree and seeing the kids run up to Aubie.”

After the various activities and performances, the main event of the night occurred around 5:30 p.m. President Steven Leath and his wife Janet Leath assisted the Auburn Family in counting down to the tree lighting. After Aubie flipped the switch, Samford was brought to life with lights from the tree and Menorah.

Share and discuss “Holiday lighting ceremony brings the Auburn Family together ” on social media.