Your View: Editorial and condescending tone were off the mark

false

To the Editor:

It is undoubtedly true that, "The rights of free speech and free press are two of the most sacred rights Americans possess." It is entirely wrong to believe that this "sacred" right is limited to the people The Plainsman has pre-determined are intellectual enough to exercise it.

Since when has a characteristic of freedom of speech and press been that the freedoms are limited to what The Plainsman believes is "careless and disgusting?"

Although the comments may have been unacceptable to The Plainsman, they were the thoughts and ideas of someone, and they had a right to be published. Because that's the beauty of freedom of speech, there are no, or should I say, at least very few exceptions.

Apparently The Plainsman believes those commenting on their publication do not possess the same rights as their staff.

Maybe the people leaving the comments were embarrassing their respective camps, but the author of the article did a pretty fabulous job of embarrassing The Plainsman's credibility when it comes to handing out opinion columns.

Second, the "Editorial Board" needs to reconsider the condescending stance it took when producing this response. It is completely unnecessary to undermine the intelligence of the Auburn student body by suggesting that they don't understand journalism.

-Dominique Boley

junior, political science

Share and discuss “Your View: Editorial and condescending tone were off the mark” on social media.