Bands to look for at Sloss Music Festival

The Sloss Music and Arts Festival has become Birmingham's premier music festival after three successful years in the Magic City.

After much anticipation, the 2018 lineup has finally been announced, and the Birmingham event is set for July 14-15 at Sloss Furnaces.

Sloss Fest was created in 2015 by Red Mountain Entertainment, a longtime concert promoter in Birmingham, and two partners: AC Entertainment (behind the Bonaroo and Forecastle festivals) and Venue Management.

“How could this lineup not excite someone?” asked Patrick Droney, a musician playing at Sloss Fest. “I’m thrilled to be coming to Birmingham to perform my new music for new faces. We are putting together a special show for you guys.”

Sloss Fest features four stages of music; the Steam Stage, Blast Stage, Shed Stage and Seasick Records Stage.

The lineup is now at 44 performers. The big headliners are Chris Stapleton, Arcade Fire, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit and Griz.

Sloss Fest is known to bring a range of genres into one rocking weekend.

“The festival atmosphere is so special, because most of the attendees are generally just music lovers," Droney said. "Fans of different genres coming together for a few days of community united by music - such a wonderful thing. Being able to let loose with that knowledge on a big festival stage to me is freedom."

“You just kind of immerse yourself into the whole music scene and be a part of that festival culture,” said John Davidson, a member of the Brummies. “It is a carefree fun atmosphere to be in.”

The Brummies recently finished touring the Northwest. The have played at Bonaroo, Stagecoach, Shaky Boots, Firefly and the Hangout - they are not new to the American festival scene, but they also have a huge fan base in Europe.

They are originally from Birmingham. For them, Sloss Fest is like a homecoming.

“Every year that we see Sloss Fest go by we are just like, 'Man, that’s home, and we would love to be a part of it,'" Davidson said. "It feels good to finally get an opportunity to play in front of our hometown in a big festival like that, its special for us,” said Davidson.

The Brummies plan to release a new single in February followed by a record in April.

Davidson and band member, Trevor Davis, are also big Auburn fans.

Davidson went to a couple football games this past year, and commented on Auburn’s recent basketball success.

“We also want to achieve the necessary amount of fame to where we can get sideline Auburn tickets,” joked Davidson.

Both Droney and The Brummies are going to put on an awesome show to make Sloss Fest 2018 one to remember, they said.

It is apparent that both cannot wait to share their passion for music with the Magic City in July.

“I’ve always felt that the transaction between artist and crowd is a sacred one," Droney said.
When I am on stage playing for faces standing right in front of me, I know it’s something unique and special we are sharing in a fleeting moment. I love sharing that space with the crowd and look forward to doing just that at Sloss this Summer."

“Any room where people want to listen to the music, is a room we are happy to be in,” said Davidson.

Tickets are on sale now for Sloss Fest 2018 which is at the Historic Sloss Furnaces. Sloss is currently the only 20th century blast furnace in the United States being preserved as a historic industrial site.

Sloss also helped the city get the nickname “Magic City.” The city was named after Birmingham, England the center of that country’s iron industry.

The new Alabama city boomed, becoming the Magic City.  

Share and discuss “Bands to look for at Sloss Music Festival” on social media.