Passion Vs. Payday

For most people, choosing a college major is a stressful process. 

There are so many options that it becomes overwhelming. You could start out thinking you want to be a doctor and end up in journalism. Or maybe, you truly have a passion for something but it isn’t a “main stream” career. What are you supposed to do then? Do you major in what you love or in what will give you more job security after graduation? We have all heard both sides of the situation; some say you need to find a job in what you love so that work is never dreadful, but others recommend to major in something that will make the big bucks later on. Is there really a right or wrong?

Take me, for example. I had a career in ballet before I even went to college. My entire life was revolved around becoming the next prima ballerina. Ballet was truly my passion, but there was always a part of me that wondered if I should let it go in hopes of a more financially stable future.

The time finally came when I decided it was time to retire the pink tights and tutus and trade them in for football jerseys and textbooks. I didn’t really know what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and finding that new passion was still in the process. I started out as a double major in food science and nutrition, but after one too many science classes I did a complete 180 and transferred to the business school.

Making this switch took a lot of time and self-reflection. I kept thinking maybe I should stick with my double major because of the praise STEM majors get, both in and out of college.

I was always told ballet could only be a hobby and that making a career out of it was nearly impossible. Sometimes I can’t help but wonder if I did the right thing. Now here I am, preparing for a world full of business suits and meetings, instead of my aforementioned lab coat and goggles.

To get to the point, don’t settle for something that will make you unhappy and in 40 years have you wishing you had stuck to your plan to nail down your dream job. Finish out your major in theater, I can’t wait to see your opening night on Broadway. At least keep your passion alive in some way. Whether it be joining a club and making a hobby out of it or teaching it to others, do not let it go. If the opportunity isn’t already there, make your own.

Whatever major you choose doesn’t mean you can’t decide later to do something else. Conan O’Brien majored in English and history, but that didn’t hinder him.

This all goes to say, work as hard as you can in whatever major you choose. But don’t stop there; paint something new every week, learn how to play guitar, write a journal. Do anything you can to keep the fire ignited on your passions. It will keep life a lot more interesting.

Share and discuss “Passion Vs. Payday” on social media.