Mickey Dean picks up win No. 500, Auburn moves to 23-2 ahead of SEC play

“It feels really good,” Dean said. “I wish I would have done it quicker.”

In the second-to-last game of the Wilson/DeMarini Classic, the Auburn Tigers defeated Western Illinois 7-0. This win puts the 12th ranked Tigers at 22-2 on the season -- undefeated at home. The victory also accounts for head coach Mickey Dean’s 500th career win.

“It feels really good,” Dean said postgame. “I wish I would have done it quicker.”

Makayla Martin took the mound to start for the Tigers. Martin pitched through five innings, allowing only a single hit. Martin also dished out five strikeouts, adding to her season total of 54.

In the sixth inning, Chardonnay Harris took the mound to close out the shutout. Harris allowed three hits, but did not allow a run. Harris also fanned four hitters.

This combined shutout is the 15th shutout of the season for the Tigers.

On the offensive side, the Tiger bats exploded with 13 hits on the afternoon, scoring seven runs. Morgan Podany went 3-for-3 and Taylon Snow went 2-for-3 with 3 RBIs, leading the scoring barrage.

“We are all swinging good, feeling good, pitching good, and our defense is looking pretty solid” Veach said. “I would say we are ready for LSU.”

On the base path, Victoria Draper stole her 26th and 27th bags. She is six steals short of tying the NCAA record of 33 in a single season.

GAME 2

In the final game of the Wilson/DeMarini Classic, the 12th ranked Tigers beat the University of North Carolina at Wilmington 6-1 to improve to 23-2 on the season. This win keeps the Tigers undefeated at home.

Across the Tigers' four major sports (football, basketball, baseball and softball), the Tigers have only lost one game at home.

The first batter faced by starting pitcher Kaylee Carlson singled to third base. After the hit, it was all Carlson, striking out two of the next three batters. It would take UNCW till the fourth inning to tally another hit.

Carlson dealt three strikeouts against her 14 batters faced. In relief, Harris and Kara Bilodeau both pitched single frames. Harris struck out one and neither allowed a run.

Ashlee Swindle came in to close the game, allowing two late hits and the only run of the two games for the Tigers, breaking up the back-to-back shutout games. This run allowed is the first of the season for Swindle.

All four pitcher utilized in the game are posting sub-1.00 ERAs.

Fielding wise, the Tigers have been technically sound. Throughout the weekend tournament the Tigers only committed one error.

Continue reading below

The highlight of the Tigers' fielding side of the ball saw a double hit to center field, into the waiting mitt of centerfielder Victoria Draper. Without hesitation, Draper rifled the ball from deep center field, all the way to home plate to catch a runner trying to advance home, preserving the shutout.

A pick-off of a runner trying to steal second by catcher Veach also ignited the Tigers defense.

On the offensive side, the Tigers kept their bats erupting and the runs flowing -- six runs were scored on six hits. Leading the charge was Draper, who went 2-for-3 with two runs. Draper is batting over .550 for the season.

Following the Veach pick-off to end the top of the fifth, Veach took the plate and hit a gap shot double to center, which ignited the Tigers' bench and bats. Following that double was a Podany double, a Draper sacrifice squeeze that took her to first, a KK Crocker RBI double and a Tannon Snow RBI.

Draper also managed to steal her 28th and 29th bases to put her within four steals of the NCAA single season record.

The Tigers look to continue their winning ways as they face arguably their toughest opponent yet in a three-game series against LSU in Baton Rouge, starting March 9 through the 11. 

Share and discuss “Mickey Dean picks up win No. 500, Auburn moves to 23-2 ahead of SEC play” on social media.