Social Justice Panel

For the fifth year in a row, students and faculty gathered together to listen to female faculty members describe how they work to promote social justice issues on campus.

The event is chaired by Dr. Paula Backscheider, Philpott-Stevens Eminent Scholar in English and featured four other women faculty members.

“Social justice is all around us, and still needed, and it’s not that hard to do,” said Backscheider. This message became clear through the different panelists’ presentations, all which presented social justice in different fields.

The panel began with Dr. Mitchell Brown, the Ph.D., Program director for the Department of Political Science. Brown gave a presentation titled “The Meaning of Social Justice and its Role in Academe.”

After Brown concluded, Dr. Marilyn Strutchen spoke. Strutchen is a Leischuck Endowed Professor and Fraley Distinguished Professor in the College of Education and her talk was titled “Empowering Students through Equitable Teaching Practices.”

Strutchen, whose focus is in math education, based her presentation among four points. These points were: Factors Related to Student’s Mathematic Engagement and Achievement, Parental Involvement, Equitable Pedagogy, and Preservice Teacher’s Pedagogical Development.

Dr. Karen Rogers, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Research in the College of Architecture, Design, and Construction, spoke next on what the college is working to instill in students.

Instead of focusing on her own research, Rogers explained the principles of the CADC and how they reflect social justice. Rogers said that students in the past have learned about empathy modeling in their projects.

This empathy modeling helped different student teams create new products for those in need, such as a measuring cup that will help a visually impaired woman be able to continue baking.

The CADC focuses on human interaction and the quality of this interaction, which is seen in Rural Studio, something Rogers discussed at length. Rogers stressed the point that these student-led projects were only done if asked for by a community or individual.

Rural Studio is based in Hale County, Alabama, and has resulted in buildings such as libraries, community centers, and tiny houses for the citizens of these towns.

Professor Daydrie Hague, from the Department of Theatre, spoke next on “Empowering Women to Act.” She discussed the different plays the theatre department has produced and explained the interdisciplinary aspects of the curriculum.

“Both male and female students are learning to use power tools and sewing machines,” said Hague when explaining how the theatre department trains its undergraduate students.

The event concluded with a Question and Answer session with all four panelists. Many of the questions were directed towards Rogers and asking about the efficiency and safety of tiny houses and other Rural Studio projects.

Other questions focused on promoting social justice in the classroom and how those present at the panel can work to promote social justice on campus and in their lives.  

“If you see a need, you can be creative about addressing it. If students can just be opportunistic, where do you see the need for it [social justice]. It can come naturally, but it takes just a little bit of bravery,” said Backscheider.

Share and discuss “Social Justice Panel ” on social media.